[NEohioPAL] Review of "Cats" at Geauga Theater

Bob Abelman r.abelman at adelphia.net
Mon Apr 22 19:01:41 PDT 2013

Geauga Theater's 'Cats' exceeds pet peeves

Bob Abelman

News-Herald, Chagrin Valley Times, Solon Times, Geauga Times Courier

Member, International Association of Theatre Critics

This review will appear in the News-Herald on 4/26/13

In the spirit of disclosure, let it be known that I do not like the musical "Cats."

Yes, it won seven Tony Awards - including Best Musical in 1983.  Sure, it had a historically long run on the London (21 years; 8,949 performances) and Broadway (18 years; 7,485 performances) stages.  OK, it has literary ties to the whimsical verse of poet T.S. Eliot.  Yet this dialogue-free, dance-driven composite of Andrew Lloyd Webber's redundant musical compositions fails to move me.

In the spirit of full disclosure, I don't like cats either.

Consequently, sitting through a play that showcases performers feigning feline qualities and donning fur-lined leotards is, well, maddening.  I find their prowling and preening and mewing in the moonlight while calling each other precious cat names like Rum Tum Tugger and Mungojerrie absolutely mind-numbing.

But the two patrons sitting beside me during the opening night performance of "Cats" at the Geauga Theater in Chardon do not.

To my immediate left is a mother of a member of the cast.  She can't help sighing aloud at each entrance and exit and watches, transfixed, so as not to miss a moment of her teenage daughter - a Jellicle cat - darting in and out of the spotlight.

To my immediate right is an older gentleman who hums intermittently during each song.  He frequently joins in on the chorus as well, particularly when it reaches dramatic climax, which every song in this show seems to do.  During the heart-wrenching ballad "Memory" - the most memorable and melodic song in the show - he grazes but does not quite hit the D-flat major that Broadway legend Betty Buckley earned a living doing.

At first, I find myself annoyed, then amused, by their passion for this play and the pleasure they clearly derive from watching it.  I eventually find myself attracted to it.  So I put down my notepad and pen, and try to see what they see, focusing specifically on what occurs between sighs and the things that induce involuntary humming.

Although both of my guides gravitate toward a silver and gray tabby named Munkustrap, the main character played by a very talented David Malinowski, most of their attention is given to the ensemble.  The ensemble provides the pulse of this production and the show's success falls squarely on their ability to work as a cohesive, coordinated unit.  They do.  There is an abundance of talent on this community theater stage, as each performer executes director Lisa-Marie French's intriguing combination of ballet and modern movement with precision and purpose.

Within the ensemble are several standout dancers who are so good and expressive that it is difficult to notice anything else happening on stage when they are in motion.   They include Erin Allen (Victoria) in white, Tia Workman (Rumpleteazer), Allison Lehr (Griddlebone) in yellow, Richelle Dykstra (Cassandra) in black, and Stephen Bundy (Mr. Mistoffelees).

The sound emanating from the stage - truly gorgeous harmonies and balanced belting, supported nicely by a small but substantial orchestra under Dave Thomas' direction - is impressive as well.  Hence the humming.  Tyler Levicki as old Deuteronomy, Leah Phoenix-Nedelman and Amanda Haywood-Houlahan in the jazzy "Macavity" number, and Annamarie Mastrey, who joins Sylvia Jurcak in "Memories," are superb featured performers.

As Grizabella - the very old cat who no longer resembles the proud, flamboyant dancer of her youth - Jurcak works hard - perhaps too hard - to create the dramatic moments that define this song and which, quite frankly, the song achieves all on its own.  But she hits every note in grand fashion.

Not hitting any notes at all are two featured performers too ill to sing.  Not many notice, for the troupe covers for them without flinching, underscoring the "community" in this community theater production and generating a fair share of sighs from my neighbor to the left.

When the lights come up after the show's finale, I am still not a fan of this musical.  Or cats.  I am, however, certainly more appreciative of the effort put into this impressive production.  And I can't quite seem to stop humming.  Sigh.

"Cats" continues through May 12 at the Geauga Theater in Chardon.  For tickets, which range from $10 to $18, call 440-286-2255 or visit www.geuagatheater.org.