[NEohioPAL] MAMAÍ THEATRE COMPANY ANNOUNCES FULL PRODUCTION COMPANY FOR ITS INAUGURAL SEASON.

Christine McBurney kritty65 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 29 08:23:06 PDT 2013

*

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CONTACT:

Bernadette Clemens and Christine McBurney, Co-Artistic Directors

Mamaí Theatre Company

216.570.3403 and 216.401.9187

clemens.bernadette at gmail.com and christinemcburney65 at gmail.com

www.mamaitheatreco.org

Cleveland, OH, 28 April 2013 -- MAMAÍ THEATRE COMPANY ANNOUNCES FULL
PRODUCTION COMPANY FOR ITS INAUGURAL SEASON.

MAMAÍ THEATRE COMPANY presents two premiere works in its inaugural season,
in residence at Ensemble Theatre in Cleveland Heights, June – August 2013.

Co-Artistic Director Bernadette Clemens will direct the U.S. premiere of
Brendan Kennelly’s translation of Euripides’ Medea, June 13 - 30, 2013 and
Co-Artistic Director Christine McBurney will direct the Cleveland premiere
of David Mamet’s Boston Marriage, July 18 - August 4, 2013.

Mamaí Theatre Company was co-founded in 2010 by Bernadette Clemens, Wendy
Kriss, Christine McBurney, and Derdriu Ring.  Mamaí (pronounced Mah' may)
is the Gaelic word for “mother.”  Four working mothers, theatre artists,
colleagues, and friends arrived at a place where it was time to create
their own opportunities.  “Don’t wait to create” became the inspiration for
Mamaí Theatre Company.

>From 2010-2012 we completed a phase of strategic planning and artistic
experimentation, debuting at Cleveland Public Theatre with Samuel Beckett's
COME AND GO as well as original piece TO THE SEA, a deconstruction of John
Synge's RIDERS TO THE SEA with movement technique of Etienne Decroux and
clown technique of Jacques Lecoq. In 2011-2012, we conducted four private
play readings with invited audience and a number of Cleveland’s
professional actors in order to consider future projects.

We look forward to our inaugural season in residence at Ensemble Theatre in
Cleveland Heights and hope to have years ahead of collaboration to share
with our greater community. The co-founders collectively continue to
practice their training while seeking new, stimulating, creative work as
theatre artists. We find contemporary relevance in new conceptions of
classical theatre.

“The impulse and instinct to direct Euripides’ Medea is the one that
remained constant for me,” says Co-Artistic Director Clemens.  “I was
strongly influenced in Dublin in 2004 by the debut of Seamus Heaney’s The
Burial at Thebes, a contemporary rendition of Antigone.  Heaney’s
translation is electric and the world of the play is now,” says Clemens.
 “The language flew from the page through the artists to our guts in the
Abbey Theatre audience. It was the essence of why we, all over the world,
still produce classical theatre in the 21st Century: because it’s good
theatre, and because the playwrights’ words, in a sense, could have been
written today.

In that spirit, turn on CNN to look at the redundant headlines on mothers
(and fathers, speaking of universality) in our country who have tragically
murdered their young children lately, and you’ll know why Medea remains
prescient today. It’s because we are all Medea. We live in a society where
this could happen, where it does happen, and I want to ask: why? How could
someone do this? It seems unfathomable, and yet it’s 2,500 years after
Euripides wrote it, and we’re still doing it.”

Co-Artistic Director Christine McBurney recalls that after seeing Artistic
Associate Derdriu Ring in a production of Boston Marriage at the Pittsburgh
Irish & Classical Theatre in 2006, “I kept thinking, just about every Mamet
play has been done in Cleveland.  Why not this one?  Was it because all
three roles are for women and that would be a tough sell?  Or was it due to
a combination of mentality and finances; that a work this sophisticated can
only be performed by union actors?

Whatever the reasons, no one was touching it and I thought, someone in
Cleveland has to do this play.  Well, that someone turned out to be me.
 I’m excited to share such a wickedly funny play.  It’s written in the
style of Oscar Wilde and with real physical comedy.  It is part farce, part
mystery, full of wit and linguistic gymnastics.  And those well-behaved
women rarely making history that you’ve heard about?  You’ll find them here
busy wreaking havoc subversively inside a discreetly disguised Victorian
drawing room comedy.  It’s as if old Lady Bracknell were transported to the
21st century and all of her repressed energy were suddenly unleashed.
 Underneath the corsets is the driving, aggressive, intellectual and sexual
energy of any of Mamet’s male protagonists.”

Mamaí Theatre Company is in residence courtesy of the 2013 Ensemble Theatre
Summer Space Grant.  Ensemble Theatre is located at 2843 Washington Blvd.,
Cleveland Heights, Ohio; in the Coventry Commons.

Mamaí Theatre Company is a registered 501(c)3 Non-profit organization.

PRODUCTION TEAM

Our Full Company bios can be viewed at
http://www.mamaitheatreco.org<http://www.mamaitheatreco.org/home/2013-company>.

Scenic Designer MEDEA
                                                              Trad Burns

Scenic Designer BOSTON MARRIAGE                                 Ron Newell

Costume Designer
                                                                          Inda
Blatch Geib

Lighting Designer MEDEA
                                                           Benjamin Gantose

Lighting Designer BOSTON MARRIAGE                                     Trad
Burns

Sound Designer
                                                                        Ross
Newbauer

Stage Manager MEDEA
                                                                 Lisa
Palinkas

Stage Manager BOSTON MARRIAGE                                          Rose
Leininger

Asst. Director MEDEA                                               Anjanette
Hall

Assistant Stage Manager & Properties, MEDEA                      Gabriella
Martinez

Board Operator MEDEA
                                                                Shoshanna
Grossman

Board Operator BOSTON MARRIAGE                                  Cody Swanson

House Manager
                Lori
Berenson

Dramaturg

               Dean
Carlson

Graphic Designer, Mamaí Logo
                                                     Alyce Hrbek

Photographer

          Erik
Johnson

Intern
                     Courtney
Horne

CASTS

MEDEA

MEDEA  Tracee Patterson*

JASON   Jason Kaufman*

NURSE  Mary Jane Nottage

CREON  Robert Hawkes

TEACHER  Annie Schiferl

AEGEUS  Joseph Milan

CHORUS:

   NEWSCASTER  Natalie Green

   MEDEA's ATTORNEY  Anne McEvoy

  JASON's ATTORNEY  Stuart Hoffman

  NEIGHBOR  Jean Cummins

   BARISTA  Sarah Doody

1ST CHILD  Grace Hoy

2ND CHILD  Julia Ashkettle

        *Actor appears courtesy of Actors' Equity Association

 BOSTON MARRIAGE

ANNA  Shanna Beth McGee*

CLAIRE  Cathleen O'Malley

MAID  Khaki Hermann

        *Actor appears courtesy of Actors' Equity Association

 Tickets may be purchased at
http://www.mamaitheatreco.org/home/buy-tickets-subscribe.

Learn more about the founders at http://www.mamaitheatreco.org/home/founders

Like Mamaí Theatre Company on http://www.facebook.com/mamaitheatreco.