[NEohioPAL] Theatre Ninjas "Telephone" amazing, challenging, rewarding

Ted tedinstrongsville at gmail.com
Mon Jun 10 05:34:47 PDT 2013

After attending Theatre Ninja's production of "Telephone" last weekend,
I felt moved to urge those who love great acting, and theatre that both
challenges and rewards, to make plans to see it.

While it's hardly a plot-driven vehicle -- I'm not sure I could begin to
describe anything even vaguely resembling a plot -- it is an engaging
and wildly innovative show.  With language that twists and curls around
itself in beautifully poetic and musical ways, the challenge to the
actors must have been astounding.....and at the same time, it gives each
of them the opportunity to shine.  These are three great performances,
and a third act that,despite the show's general Brechtian emotional
reserve, is deeply moving.

The show seems to be about communication, language, and the technology
of communication, but like any great poetry and art, it offers no easy
answers.  It doesn't even offer easy questions.

What it does offer is beauty and intrigue and an example of everything
that theatre can and should sometimes be.