[NEohioPAL] Mercury Summer Stock's "Shrek" A Lively Journey Full of Surprises

Marjorie Preston marjorie at marjoriepreston.com
Mon Jun 17 18:34:33 PDT 2013

Full text here:
http://www.marjoriepreston.com/2013/06/mercury-summer-stocks-shrek-a-lively-journey-full-of-surprises/

Mercury Summer Stock's “Shrek” A Lively Journey Full of Surprises
By MARJORIE PRESTON
Brava!

*www.marjoriepreston.com/brava*

Mercury Summer Stock's current musical production, “Shrek,” with music by
Jeanine Tesori and book and lyrics by David Lindsay-Abaire, based on the
DreamWorks film and book by William Steig, tells the tale of an ogre who
embarks on a quest that will change the lives of many. A talented group,
principals and supporting cast all, make “Shrek” a lively journey full of
surprises.

 The green-skinned ogre Shrek (Pat Ciamacco) lives alone in a swamp
believing that “real life is grossly overrated” until Lord Farquaad of
Duloc (Brian Marshall) banishes so many of his citizens that they begin to
show up in Shrek's neighborhood. On his journey to rescue a princess (in
order to get Lord Farquaad off his back), he actually begins to make
friends, including a Donkey on the run (Justin Woody) and the Princess
Fiona (Sara Masterson), thrilled to be rescued from a tower after thirty
years, even if it is by an ogre.

 Ciamacco's Scottish accent is wonderful, he is confident, pleasant and
humorous to watch. Ciamacco gets his moment to show his singing skills in
“Who I'd Be,” the first act closer. Marshall brings a sly, delicious
quality to his short-statured Farquaad, with innovative choreography in his
introductory number in the first act in a strong section between Woody's
toe-tapping “Don't Let Me Go” and Masterson's skillful mood-changing in “I
Know It's Today.”

 Every number involving Woody is peppy and infused with soul, including
“Travel Song.” His comic abilities are sharp. Masterson shows great
versatility in the plum role of Fiona, including comic timing, great pipes
and tap skills in her cheerful ode to daybreak, “Morning Person.” The major
characters all come from storybook-bad childhoods, but the audience can
sympathize and laugh at their foibles. In fact, the schadenfreude is one of
the guilty pleasures of enjoying this show.

 Director and Choreographer Pierre-Jacques Brault has assembled a wonderful
cast and slipped in a few Cleveland references for fun. His hard work on
the choreography shines most in Farquaad's introductory piece and “Morning
Person.” Set Design by Falcon Productions uses multifunctional rolling,
rotating and hinged wooden set pieces painted tastefully to depict the
grass and rocks of a swamp or high castle walls.

 “Shrek” plays at Mercury Summer Stock, Regina Auditorium at Notre Dame
College, 1857 South Green Road in South Euclid. Performances are
Thursday-Saturday at 7:30 p.m. and Sunday at 2:00 p.m. through June 29. For
tickets visit *www.mercurysummerstock.com* or call (216) 771-5862. Parental
guidance is suggested due to some crude humor and general naughtiness.

--
Best,
mp

Marjorie Preston, President*
Marjorie Preston PR
*http://www.marjoriepreston.com/
Specializing in small business, arts and non-profit clients*
Let's tell your story!

*"If I was down to my last dollar, I'd spend it on public relations."--
Bill Gates, Microsoft founder