[NEohioPAL] Put YOUR STORY on STAGE at theatre dangereux! Spots still open!

theatre dangereux theatredangereux at gmail.com
Tue Jun 25 07:28:04 PDT 2013

Do you have a story to tell? *theatre dangereux cleveland*, NE Ohio's
newest boutique theatre venue, is seeking performers for a piece called
"Subversive Stories".

No acting experience is necessary. The rehearsal process will be treated as
a free performance workshop/class; I will be there to teach you if
necessary. You will be considered to be part of the *theatre dangereux
cleveland* company by participating in this piece.

Our performance venue is very small and informal, we are a "boutique
theatre" like you find in New York City. This is a completely new concept
for Cleveland. Our seating in the Black Box is limited to 8 people, and our
seating in Space Two is limited to 20 people. We do not have an official,
traditional "stage", costumes, lighting, or even a curtain. You need to be
OK with pop-up, boutique, workshop performances to work with us.

If you've heard of the concept of "The Poor Theatre", that is us! :-)

For the "Subversive Stories" piece, you will share a pivotal moment from
your life, or from the life of someone else, in a monologue, a poem,
creative movement, dance, stand-up comedy, or song. You can also share a
concept that is meaningful to you, rather than a pivotal moment.

You can write your own piece, or I can provide a piece for you. It's
totally up to you, just let me know what you prefer.

A few ideas; these are merely guidelines, not rules:

The story can deal with an event in the your life that society deemed as
being "shameful", "sinful", or "wrong" in some way; a moment in your life
that you were told to shut up about.

Or, the story can deal with being part of a group that is discriminated
against, such as the experience of being a minority, a Muslim, a
gay/lesbian/bisexual/transgendered person, a stripper, a low-wage worker
... the list is infinite.

You could tell a story about being raped, being abused, stealing, getting a
DUI ... your story does not have to be rated G.

Age is no barrier (although actors need to be over 18). I would welcome
stories from senior citizens who have experienced war, internment, and
discrimination.

The story just needs to be "subversive" in the sense that it deals with
something society wants you to feel ashamed about. However, by performing
in this production, you will be empowering yourself and courageously
telling society: "There is no shame in being human."

Our productions at *theatre dangereux cleveland* are always free. Our goal
is to be a welcoming space, and a courageous voice, for the community.

Although we consider ourselves to be a professional theatre company,
unfortunately,
we are not in the position to pay our actors at this time.

We will be holding a meeting for performers interested in being in this
production on Saturday, June 29 at 3pm, at the City Club Building, Suite
820, 850 Euclid Ave, Cleveland, OH. We are right in the Theatre District in
downtown Cleveland.

*If you want to be in this production, show up and tell me what you want to
do! It's that easy. I need you to email me and tell me you are coming,
though*: theatredangereux at gmail.com

Our performances of this piece will take place on: September 21, 22, 28,
and 29 at 7:30pm at the City Club Building.

Our rehearsal schedule will be limited and (hopefully!) stress-free. We
will rehearse three Saturday afternoons a month at the City Club Building
starting in July, with some occasional Sunday afternoons TBA depending
on conflicts.
That means you will need to do some work at home on your own as well.

I'm looking forward to hearing from you all! If you have any questions,
email me anytime.

Marifrances Conrad
Founder and Artistic Director, *theatre dangereux cleveland*