[NEohioPAL] THE KING AND I at HBTI opens in ONE WEEK!!

Fred Sternfeld fsternfeld at hb.edu
Thu Jul 4 04:38:48 PDT 2013

*HATHAWAY BROWN THEATRE INSTITUTE *
presents Rodgers and Hammerstein’s *The King and I* FOR ITS INAUGURAL
PRODUCTION

The works of Rodgers and Hammerstein have amazed and enthralled audiences
for decades. Hathaway Brown Theatre Institute (HBTI) is transporting
audiences back to 1862 Siam with the Tony Award winning classic, *The King
and I*, playing July 12 through July 21, 2013.  This captivating and
timeless treasure of wills, wits and wisdom has been enchanting audiences
for over 60 years.  Set against an exotic background, *The King and I* is
the moving true story of a young English widow and her son who travel to
Siam to tutor the King’s children. The lush Rodgers and Hammerstein score
includes “Getting to Know You,” “Shall We Dance,” “I Whistle A Happy Tune,”
“The Small House of Uncle Thomas” and “Hello, Young Lovers.”

The production features a cast of 45 students ages 6-20, including Klara
Hricik (Shaker Heights) as Anna, Jerry Shepherd (Cleveland) as The King,
Lauryn Hobbs (Shaker Heights) as Tuptim, Mark Oet (Solon) as Lun Tha,
Christina Ciofani (Unversity Heights) as Lady Thiang and Neil Kelly
(Beachwood) as The Kralahome. All the members of the cast are students of
the newly formed Hathaway Brown Theatre Institute and hail from the entire
Northeast Ohio region - Avon to Medina to Painesvile. *
*
*The King and I *will be directed by Fred Sternfeld. Mr. Sternfeld’s most
recent production featuring children and teens, *Les Miserables: School
Edition*, won a Broadwayworld.com award as “best musical revival” in the
Cleveland region for 2011. Sternfeld, whose numerous and award-winning
directing credits include *Yellowman *(Karamu), *A Little Night Music*(FPAC),
*Ragtime, the musical* (JCC/Tri C), *Fiddler on the Roof *(Cain Park) and
Disney's *Beauty and the Beast* (Beck Center), is also the Executive
Artistic Director of HBTI. “Our large cast, featuring some of the area’s
most talented young people, are doing an amazing job at rehearsals finding
the nuances of this beautiful and moving piece,” says an enthusiastic Mr.
Sternfeld. The production staff also includes Bebe Weinberg Katz as
choreographer and costume designer, Elaine Siegel as music director, Ron
Newell as set designer, Scott Chapman as light designer and Carlton Guc as
sound designer.

In addition to *The King and I*, HBTI will be producing the musical theatre
phenomenon *Jekyll & Hyde* from August 9 - 18, directed by Bob Russell.

The Hathaway Brown Theatre Institute was created by the Performing Arts
Department of the Hathaway Brown School in Shaker Heights for students
1stgrade – college. Mr. Sternfeld says, “At HBTI, training is our
focus. As
educators for the arts our emphasis is on the process the performer goes
through. Our goal is to supply our students with the tools to succeed in
any audition and performance situation.” HBTI is offering three sessions
(June 17-July 5, July 8-26 and July 29-August 9; Monday-Friday,
9:00am-3:30pm) that will consist of coursework in drama, dance and music.
HBTI has been created to give young people interested in the performing
arts a place to get high level training from working artists and
professional level production experiences.*
*
Visit www.hb.edu for complete description of dates, courses and
registration as well as a listing of HB's many other summer offerings. *
*
Performances for *The King and I* will be Fridays and Saturdays, July 12,
13, 19 and 20 at 7:30pm and Sundays July 14 and 21 at 2:00pm at Hathaway
Brown School, 19600 North Park Blvd., Shaker Heights, Ohio 44122. Tickets
range from $10-15 and can be purchased online at www.hb.edu/tickets, by
calling 216-932-4214 x7270 or at the door (if available) the day of the
performance.

For more information, contact: Kathleen Osborne, Director of Communication
& Outreach, Hathaway Brown School, 216-320-8785.

--
Fred Sternfeld, Executive Artistic Director - Hathaway Brown Theatre
Institute <http://www.hb.edu/page.cfm?p=1899>