[NEohioPAL] PROJECT: Fill the Seats and Light the Stages of Akron's Vacant Depression-Era Amphitheaters

Tessa Gaffney tmg81 at zips.uakron.edu
Thu Aug 22 12:39:48 PDT 2013

Hello theatre friends,

I am a current student at the University of Akron majoring in Political
Science and minoring in Theatre Arts; my sister is a recent graduate from
UA with a Bachelor of Arts in Business and Organizational Communications
and a minor in photography. It has recently come to our attention that
there are beautiful stone amphitheaters that were built during the
Depression in an effort to create jobs in Chestnut Ridge Park (in Kenmore)
and Waters Park (in North Hill) that haven't been used in years. Seeing as
there are so few community theatre opportunities in the Akron area, it is
really a tragedy to see these historic landmarks crumbling from disuse. I
would like to assemble local playwrights, composers, directors, actors,
musicians, singers, choreographers, dancers, stagehands, makeup artists,
costumers, etc. in a Summerstock-type community theatre program at these
locations during the fair weather months. Since the Waters Park
amphitheater is smaller, that could be reserved for youth productions,
while the Chestnut Ridge venue could showcase more adult content.
Rehearsals and performances would be held from May-September, with one show
a month, although more than one could be going on at a time with two
stages. I have written to the city of Akron Recreation Department about
acquiring permits for such an endeavor and we have their approval, but
there are still logistics that need to be worked out. If you have any
interest in helping this idea come to fruition, please reply or email me at
tmg343 at gmail.com.

Thank you,
Tessa Gaffney