[NEohioPAL] Tulibaluganda This Wednesday at 7:00pm

Kyle Znamenak skepticalplacebo at gmail.com
Mon Oct 21 17:39:38 PDT 2013

"Tulibaluganda" a benefit travelogue performance for LGBT community
resources and HIV/AIDS-related research, at
Capitol Theater
1390 W 65th St  Cleveland, OH 44102 October 23, 2013 at 7:00pm.

Dr. Ken Schneck will present “Tulibaluganda: A snarky gay Jew’s journey in
rural Uganda” at the Capitol Theatre at 7:00pm on Wednesday, October 23 as
part of a one-night only benefit performance to raise money for community
LGBT resources and HIV/AIDS research.

Dr. Schneck serves an Associate Professor of Education at Baldwin Wallace
University and is the host of “This Show is So Gay”, an award-winning,
nationally syndicated radio show. For 12 days in June 2010 and 8 days in
November of 2012, he volunteered at the Mbiriizi Primary School in Uganda.
Currently, there are 1,006 children in the primary school—ages 3 to 14—of
which 250 are orphans due to the ravages of HIV/AIDS. This original
travelogue reflects Schneck’s transformative experience illustrated by
stunning images he captured during his part-comical, part-insightful,
part-heart-breaking and completely eye-opening adventures in Africa.

"When I traveled to Uganda in 2010, I was overwhelmed by culture shock. I
also felt extraordinarily conflicted at the experience of traveling with a
group of Americans trying to make a difference without imposing all things
American on the Ugandan people," says Schneck. “Every chance I had, I would
turn to my journal to address my shock and reconcile my conflict. I’m
excited to share the sense I was able to make of it all, in my own snarky,
gay, Jewish voice, of course.”

Tickets are $10, and there will be an on-site raffle for photo prints from
Dr. Schneck’s journey through Uganda.

100% of proceeds will be split between the LGBT Center of Greater Cleveland
and AIDS LifeCycle. The Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender Community Center
of Greater Cleveland works to advance the rights, respect and diversity of
the LGBT community. AIDS LifeCycle is a 543-mile bike ride designed to
advance shared interests to end the pandemic and human suffering caused by
AIDS.

For more information about “Tulibaluganda,” contact Ken Schneck at
kschneck at bw.edu or 917.599.6714.