[NEohioPAL] Nora Scott New Play Festival Accepting Submissions

Jennifer Kay Jeter jenniferkayjeter at gmail.com
Mon Jan 27 13:01:59 PST 2014

*For Immediate Release*

*Contact Person: Jennifer Kay
Jeter                                                    *

*Phone: 330-812-0101*
*Website: http://www.weathervaneplayhouse.com
<http://www.weathervaneplayhouse.com>*

*Weathervane Playhouse’s*

Nora Mae Scott New Play Festival

March 8th, 2014
January 16, 2014, Akron, OH— Weathervane Playhouse, located at 1301
Weathervane Lane in Akron, Ohio, will host the *Nora Scott New Play*
*Festival* on *Saturday, March 8th  from 2:00pm until 5:00pm.*

Weathervane Playhouse is now accepting scripts for the 2014 Nora Scott New
Play Festival.  Submissions will be accepted until 11:59pm EST, Friday,
February 21, 2014. Playwrights of selected works will have their plays read
publicly as part of the first Nora Scott New Play Festival on Saturday,
March 8th, 2014 at Weathervane Playhouse located in Akron, Ohio.

The Nora Mae Scott New Play Festival recognizes the cultural richness
permeating Northeast Ohio and is named in honor of Nora Mae Scott; the
first African American employee at Weathervane. Ms. Scott was the theatre’s
custodian in the 1950s, graced the stage in Weathervane productions, was
the Box Office Manager for many years and was a Lifetime Member of the
Women’s Board (Volunteer Guild). Her association with the theatre spanned
42 years. Executive Director, John Hedges, states “Embracing diversity and
inclusiveness is a core value at Weathervane.  If you take a look at our
production history over the last 20 years, for example, you will see a
demonstrated commitment to programming that speaks directly to the African
American community, as well as a broad spectrum of people who live in the
Akron area.  With the support of the John S. and James L. Knight
Foundation, we look forward to increasing our connection with a diverse
population and expanding the inclusiveness of our theater.”

Weathervane Playhouse was started in a barn in 1935 on Marshall Ave. in
Akron. In 1951 it grew to a 100-seat facility on Copley Rd. and then
relocated to Merriman Valley in 1970 where it boasts a 240-seat theatre, a
black box theatre and numerous classrooms.  Community residents with an
interest in seeing live theatre or those seeking volunteer opportunities
either onstage or backstage are encouraged to attend. Weathervane Playhouse
provides theatre training for adults and youth.

Play submission details:

   - Plays of any length relating to culture, race and diversity are
   eligible.
   - Mailed submissions should be forwarded to Nora Scott New Play
   Festival, Weathervane Playhouse, 1301 Weathervane Lane, Akron, OH 44313
   - Early submissions are strongly encouraged

For additional information, please contact Jennifer Kay Jeter at
330-836-2626 or 330-812-0101.  We look forward to your submission.

#

Jennifer Kay Jeter
http://www.wix.com/jenniferkayjeter/jenniferkayjetersocialart
330-812-0101