[NEohioPAL] Monty Python's Spamalot Opens April 25th in Hudson!

Gary Maher gmaher at windstream.net
Wed Apr 16 09:21:47 PDT 2014

"We're knights of the Round Table, we dance whene'er we're able. We do
routines and chorus scenes with footwork impec-cable, We dine well here in
Camelot, we eat ham and jam and Spam a lot."

The line above was the impetus for the title of Monty Python's Spamalot,
winner of the Tony Award for best musical, which is getting its area wide
community theater premier with the Hudson Players as they close out their
successful 69th Season. With Book and Lyrics by Eric Idle and Music by John
DuPrez, Eric Idle and Neil Innes, the new musical lovingly "ripped off" from
the motion picture Monty Python and the Holy Grail will run April 25, 26 and
May 2, 3, 9, 10, 11, 16 & 17 at the Barlow Community Theater on Oviatt St in
Hudson. (Friday May 16th will be a special American Sign Language
interpreted performance). All performances are at 8 p.m. with the May 11th
performance being a special 2 p.m. matinee.

Tickets are $14, with group, student and senior discounts available and can
be reserved at www.hudsonplayers.com or via phone at 330-655-8522.
Additional details can also be found at www.hudsonplayers.com along with
information on the groups popular dinner and show package in conjunction
with Hudson's restaurant. All are encouraged to purchase their tickets early
as tickets for this area premier are already selling briskly.

Telling the legendary tale of King Arthur as a highly irreverent parody, the
Spamalot plot, according to Monty Python veteran Eric Idle, was, "lovingly
ripped off" from the film, Monty Python and the Holy Grail.  It follows King
Arthur as he rides through the countryside with nothing more that the sound
effect of horse hooves provided by this cocoanut-banging servant, Patsy.
The silliness builds as he gathers his knights and finds himself on a quest
for the Holy Grail (a quest ordered by God - although you only get to see
his giant, hovering feet).  Along the way, musical numbers cover everything
from courting rituals in Finland to sexual alignment in the middle ages to
looking on the bright side of life.  This well-written play takes the
audience to an alternate history where the logic is a little bit off, but
always hilarious.

The Hudson Players production is fortunate to be able to Feature Eric Idle
as the voice of God, and is directed by Dave Stebbins, with musical
direction by Roger Clary and choreography by Alexandria Marzullo. The cast
also includes Don Bernardo as King Arthur, Eric Oswald as Sir Robin, Brian
Diehl as Patsy, Adam C. Alderson as Bedevere, Jim Dove as Lancelot, Derrick
Winger as Galahad, Nina Takacs as Lady of the Lake, Kirk Worcester as
Historian/Fred, John Barron-Wright as Herbert, Mike Guffey as French
Taunter, Jen Matas, Kyla Williger, Dana Herro, Brenda Willis, Martha Kriley
and Alyssa Whiddon as Laker Girls and Tim Steiner, Jay Hill, Ron Davis Chris
Macchione and Gary Maher as Knights. Special guests may also be featured for
some performances as the "Sir Not Appearing in This Show". Taunter Mike
Guffey

Opening on Broadway in 2005, the production ran for 1,575 performances and
was nominated for 14 Tony Awards (Winning best musical of the 2004-05
season), and won the Drama Desk Award for Outstanding Musical and for
Outstanding Lyrics.

The Hudson Players also promise special recognition for mothers during their
Sunday, May 11th 2 p.m. matinee (possibly a shrubbery) and reminds groups
that it has meeting/reception rooms available before and after performances.
Opening night audience members will also be invited to join the cast and
crew afterwards for an after show reception at Zeppe's Bistro in Hudson.

The Hudson Players are an all-volunteer community theater serving Hudson and
its surrounding areas. More information and tickets are available at
www.hudsonplayers.com.

# # #