[NEohioPAL] Canal Fulton Players- Four Performances of Returns by Joshua Casteel- May 22-25

David Van Gaasbeek via NEohioPAL neohiopal at lists.neohiopal.org
Wed May 14 18:38:24 PDT 2014

News Release

            The CanalFulton Players are proud to announce that they will be presenting the originalplay, Returns, by Joshua Casteel on May 22-25, 2014 at 8:00 pm at theKathleen Howland Theatre, 324 Cleveland Avenue NW, Canton, Ohio.  Returns  is a play about "the violation of youth- much more than it is about interrogation, torture, or the Iraq War."This is how Joshua Casteel described his script about four young men in chargeof interrogating an Iraqi citizen at Abu Ghraib. "Having the courage to bestill, to remember, to comprehend a story, is the battle of post-trauma,"he said. He knew this firsthand. After deploying with the United States Army toIraq in 2004, Casteel had put the finishing touches on his script less thanthree years after his return.

            The script gives readers andviewers alike a window into the lives of America's military personnel. Ourmedia fails to address the difficulties our troops face when trying to re-enterthe civilian lifestyle; the manner in which most of us live our lives and thepeace of mind we often take for granted. It is the Players’ hope that thisproduction will concentrate more on the effects of war rather than the politicsbehind it.

            The Players state that in noway, shape or form is this production meant to be a protest of the war in Iraq.It is meant to give our veterans the acknowledgement and respect they have morethan earned and to never forget our responsibility to those who protect us. Weas a nation have an obligation to be as strong as the men and women we sendoverseas. It is our duty to be still and to be patient upon their return.

            Directed by Megan Valentino, aveteran, Returns stars Josh Rowe, Rufus Malone, Joe Childers, StephonHarris, and Jacob Spreadbury,  Mr.Malone, USMC retired, also serves as Military Advisor to the production.  Ms. Valentino is a survivor of Post TraumaticStress.  Mr. Casteel died of cancer afterthis play was performed under the direction of Ms. Valentino at Bethany Collegein 2009.

            The play is being presented atthe Kathleen Howland Theatre which is on the lower level of the Second AprilArt Gallery, 324 Cleveland Avenue NW, Canton, Ohio.  Admission is $10.00.  Tickets can be purchased by calling ToddWalburn at 330-451-0924.  Any furtherinformation can be obtained by calling David Van Gaasbeek at 330-854-4387 or330-494-1022.