[NEohioPAL] Theater Ninjas & Mamaí Theatre Company Partner for Eric Coble’s STRANDED ON EARTH

Ryan Lucas via NEohioPAL neohiopal at lists.neohiopal.org
Thu May 15 22:53:43 PDT 2014

Theater Ninjas & Mamaí Theatre Company Partner for

Eric Coble’s STRANDED ON EARTH

Cleveland, Ohio, May 13, 2014 — Theater Ninjas and Mamaí Theatre Company bring you Cleveland playwright and 2014 Creative Workforce Fellow Eric Coble’s Stranded On Earth, directed by Theater Ninjas’ Artistic Director Jeremy Paul and featuring Mamaí Artistic Associate Derdriu Ring. Stranded on Earth comprises the middle of Coble’s “Alexandra Plays” trilogy, of which the recent Broadway production The Velocity of Autumn is a part. This regional premiere tells the story of visual artist Alexa as she contemplates the exchange between personal freedom and putting down roots against the backdrop of a personal tragedy.

“Bringing my play My Barking Dog to Cleveland audiences under Jeremy's direction was one of the highlights of my theatrical life,” says Coble. “So when the prospect of working together again came up – to tell a new magical mysterious story – I leapt at the chance. And knowing the astonishing Derdriu Ring will be speaking my words and painting pictures with them? It doesn't get any more powerful than that. The absolute icing on this cake is that we are using this script to bring two thrilling theatre companies together for the first time, to tell a story that will resonate through Cleveland and beyond.”

Director Jeremy Paul seconded Coble’s remarks. “There’s a lot about Stranded on Earth that is exciting: working with the talented Eric Coble again, partnering with the burgeoning Mamaí Theatre Company, and getting a chance to direct Derdriu Ring, one of Cleveland’s most talented actors. Eric has penned a beautiful story about transformation, redemption and self-definition. It’s an honor to be on the creative team bringing this visceral, nuanced story to Cleveland audiences, and to highlight the immense talents in our area.” Actress Derdriu ring added, “Eric Coble is really a clever and superb master storyteller, Jeremy Paul has vision and clarity.”

In 2013, the Plain Dealer said, “Mamaí Theatre Company...made a howling entrance onto the city’s artistic scene,” and named their inaugural production, Medea, a top 10 theatre event of the year. Also, in 2013, The Cleveland Critics’ Circle honored actor Tracee Patterson with a Best Actress Circle Award for her role as Medea in Mamaí’s inaugural production.

Theater Ninjas is going into their ninth year of producing surprising new and original theater in Cleveland. The Plain Dealer has called their work “one of the most exciting, original and confounding experiences I’ve witnessed.” Artistic Director Jeremy Paul has led Theater Ninjas since their founding and was named Theater Person of the Year by the Plain Dealer, Director of the Year by Christine Howey and was one of the Community Partnership for Arts & Culture’s 2012 Creative Workforce Fellows.

Mamaí Theatre Company was founded in 2010 by Bernadette Clemens, Wendy Kriss, Christine McBurney, and Derdriu Ring. Mamaí (pronounced Mah' may) is the Gaelic word for “mother.” Four working mothers, theatre artists, colleagues, and friends arrived at a place where it was time to create opportunities for themselves and their community. “Don’t wait to create” became the inspiration for Mamaí Theatre Company. Our mission is to create intelligent, relevant classical theatre that offers an artistic home for Cleveland's theatre artists, and equal opportunity for women in the professional theatre community.

Theater Ninjas is the Food Truck of Cleveland Theater. We’re a nomadic company who seeks out new and exciting spaces to perform. Working in non-traditional venues gives us an opportunity to reimagine how and why we tell stories, and helps us to create deep, fascinating worlds for the audience to explore. We’re always experimenting; always rethinking what theater can be: as entertainment, as art and as out-of-the-ordinary experiences.

STRANDED ON EARTH

Written by Eric Coble
Directed by Jeremy Paul
Starring Derdriu Ring*
(*Actor appears courtesy of Actors’ Equity Association) June 5-22, 2014

Thursdays, Fridays, Saturdays & Monday June 9 @ 8pm Sundays @ 2:30pm

Pilgrim Congregational Church
2592 West 14th Street
Cleveland, OH 44113
(The production space is not ADA accessible.) TICKETS: strandedonearth.brownpapertickets.com

General Admission: $20 - Over 65: $18 - Under 25: $10 - Monday: $10

Mamaí Theatre Company

Web: http://www.mamaitheatreco.org
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/mamaitheatreco #stranded Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/mamaitheatreco

Theater Ninjas

Web: http://www.theaterninjas.com
Twitter: http://twitter.com/theaterninjas #stranded Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/TheaterNinjas

Contact: Ray Caspio, Theater Ninjas’ Associate Artistic Director, rcaspio at theaterninjas.com

Both Mamaí Theatre Company and Theater Ninjas are proud to partner with the Gay Games to make them a success! Use discount code CLEARTS to save $30 on the general registration fee. Learn more about the Games at www.GG9CLE.com.