[NEohioPAL] Canal Fulton Players- Returns by Joshua Casteel opens tonight at 7:30 pm

via NEohioPAL neohiopal at lists.neohiopal.org
Thu May 22 06:39:11 PDT 2014

The Canal Fulton Players  are proud to announce that they will be
presenting the original play,  Returns, by Joshua Casteel on May 22-25, 2014 at 7:30
pm at the Kathleen  Howland Theatre, 324 Cleveland Avenue NW, Canton, Ohio.
Returns is a play about "the violation of youth - much more than it is about
 interrogation, torture, or the Iraq War." This is how Joshua Casteel
described  his script about four young men in charge of interrogating an Iraqi
citizen at  Abu Ghraib. "Having the courage to be still, to remember, to
comprehend a story,  is the battle of post-trauma," he said. He knew this
firsthand. After deploying  with the United States Army to Iraq in 2004, Casteel
had put the finishing  touches on his script less than three years after his
return.

The script gives readers and viewers alike a  window into the lives of
America's military personnel. Our media fails to  address the difficulties our
troops face when trying to re-enter the civilian  lifestyle; the manner in
which most of us live our lives and the peace of mind  we often take for
granted. It is the Players’ hope that this production will  concentrate more on
the effects of war rather than the politics behind  it.

The Players state that in no  way, shape or form is this production meant
to be a protest of the war in Iraq.  It is meant to give our veterans the
acknowledgement and respect they have more  than earned and to never forget our
responsibility to those who protect us. We  as a nation have an obligation
to be as strong as the men and women we send  overseas. It is our duty to be
still and to be patient upon their  return.

Directed by Megan  Valentino, a veteran, Returns stars Josh Rowe, Rufus
Malone, Joe  Childers, Stephon Harris, and Jacob Spreadbury, Mr. Malone, USMC
retired, also serves as Military Advisor to the  production. Ms. Valentino is
a survivor  of Post Traumatic Stress. Mr. Casteel  died of cancer after
this play was performed under the direction of Ms.  Valentino at Bethany
College in 2009.

The play is being presented at the Kathleen  Howland Theatre which is on
the lower level of the Second April Art Gallery, 324  Cleveland Avenue NW,
Canton, Ohio. Admission is $10.00. Tickets can  be purchased by calling Todd
Walburn at 330-451-0924. Any further information can be obtained by  calling
David Van Gaasbeek at 330-854-4387 or  330-494-1022.