[NEohioPAL] Stage Combat considerations

John via NEohioPAL neohiopal at lists.neohiopal.org
Wed May 28 06:45:26 PDT 2014

As a Fight Director one of my frustrations is when directors don't give
ample consideration to the time needed to create safe choreography and
training for the actors. Fight choreography is dance and sports training
rolled into one. Injuries happen when the choreography is rushed and the
actors have not developed the new muscle memories. Often I get calls to
come do fight choreography the week before tech rehearsals. This is a
completely unsafe situation which shows no regard for the actors safety.
Live theater is very different from film stunt work, where injuries are
far more common. In live theater we want repeatable performances
sometimes for weeks or months. In community theater it might only be for
a weekend. This said, actors must be physically and emotionally prepared
to perform the work early in the process so they do not have adrenaline
as a factor when performing potentially dangerous movements. Just
something to consider when planning your next project.

---