[NEohioPAL] YOUNG ACTORS 1st gr - college: You can still join us at HBTI this summer !!!

Fred Sternfeld via NEohioPAL neohiopal at lists.neohiopal.org
Tue Jun 10 12:45:01 PDT 2014

*Testimonials from our inaugural summer are below...*

*Link to additional testimonials <http://www.hb.edu/page.cfm?p=5797> from
former students, including some who are currently working professionals.*

*Consider joining us at HBTI this summer
<http://www.hb.edu/page.cfm?p=1899>!!*

SUPER PROGRAM! I loved being in The King and I and truly being able to
explore a character and create something new.  I just wanted to say thank
you to all the staff, especially Bebe, for instilling in me a whole new
level of confidence, specifically in dance, that I have never had before.
In just three weeks’ time, I learned more than I have anywhere else in huge
amounts of time. Bebe pushed me hard enough so I could stretch myself.
Partnering was a bit frightening for me at first, but the class completely
changed my perspective. The instructors always made me feel safe and secure
and the class brought me closer to my fellow performers.  I have learned
valuable things at HBTI that I truly believe will put me over the top as a
performer and give me an edge when I go out on my own. Nothing was
sugar-coated, and I thank the staff for assisting in my metamorphosis into
a conscientious and knowledgeable performer.
Christina Ciofani

AWESOME staff, audition technique class, acting/scene study and dance
classes!. Learning a lot! HBTI brings together the area’s best directors
and aspiring young performers. AWESOME PROGRAM! GREAT START!
Klara Hricik

I’ve learned more than I have ever learned about performance in the first
week alone, and I never thought I was going to till college. The staff
creates a comfortable environment to grow and be the best you can be. Bob
Russell has helped me become confident in my talent, and well prepared for
my future. I know how to go about acting a scene now.  Coming into HBTI, I
thought I could never act correctly. Now, on the last day, I feel so
prepared and confident in my abilities for the future. Finding myself
through acting has been a gift, and I value every single thing I’ve learned
in these two weeks and know I’ll carry these skills on with me.
Andrew Filipski

The staff has taught me to be more professional in auditions, show process,
and performance. I have grown as a singer, actor and dancer in just a few
weeks! Fred Sternfeld and Bob Russell are geniuses. They teach you the
small things that make your acting realistic. Joanna Li taught me about the
little things that B-way casting directors notice, like I used to shake my
head like no big deal, but she told me it was tension and will not allow
you to keep your voice strong 8 shows a week. Very good learning
experience. Staff is great!
Brandon Schumacker

I love this program! This is terrific! Nobody is judged. A wonderful
experience. I had so much fun, and I learned so many things. The teachers
are great and you learn and have fun at the same time. I loved how everyone
worked together.  I will come back every year. I live on the west side and
it is worth the drive for sure! I recommend this program to everyone. The
teachers are amazing! Everything is enjoyable.  Thank you everyone for
making this a great 3 weeks!!
Kailee Shaver

I liked the overall program a lot, especially with Fred Sternfeld directing
it. The staff was kind and helped me learn a lot.
Ryan Vincent

HBTI was the best training program and it helped me improve everything!
Superb! Not only is it fun, but also really serious and helped me a ton. I
love the staff. Acting / Scene Study class with Elana – LOVE. Fred really
helped me with my “act the song.”  Jenny is the best dance teacher I have
ever had – I want her to teach me private lessons!  Jo Li is a great voice
teacher. She not only helped me on my singing but with tension. The King
and I – SUPERB, FUN!!  The Musical Theatre focus was really helpful and
introduced me to things that I’ve never heard of that improved my dancing,
singing, and acting in many ways.  I would recommend everyone come to HBTI.
You will have a very fun and exotic experience. I am definitely coming back
next year. HBTI IS THE BEST!
Morgan Faith Williams

Superb! Love the teachers!
Rosalie Phillips

I think this is a great way in the summer to meet people with the same
interests and build skills. Program and Staff are SUPERB! “Act the Song”
class is SO MUCH HELP! I will look forward to HBTI every year!
Anna Sheridan

The environment at HBTI is fun but very productive. I always feel like I’m
learning something. I had so much fun and learned a ton. I love audition
technique class. Lara Knox has taught me so much.
Martha Jackson

It was a great program, the classes were very helpful. Staff were all very
good and well prepared.  The whole program was great. I enjoyed it very
much!
Camryn Parsons

I have tried so many different theatres and I think that I’ve finally found
my home. One of the best theatre experiences I’ve ever had. FUN! I love
everything about this program. I have grown so much. The staff are all
really professional. “Acting the Song” has really helped me. Being in The
King and I was the best play experience ever. Everyone is so nice and it is
really easy to make friends. I came back for second session because I loved
first session so much. Now, I want to come to third session but we are
going on vacation – there’s always next year!
Hannah Schmidt

Great way to expand my knowledge of theatre. Elana is an amazing teacher.
Kayla Gerogosian

Love the staff – superb! Super variety – love the electives!!!
Lauryn Hobbs

Dance was a great program! Amazing! Staff very knowledgeable and helpful.
Emily Kenville

Superb! Everyone is kind and helpful in teaching useful things.
Neil Kelly

Great! I learned so much this summer from the wonderful Bebe Katz and Fred
Sternfeld. I think I have grown as a dancer, actor and singer.
Charles Miller

HBTI this summer has been a blast for me and I have learned so many new
skills and techniques from the wonderful staff so I want to say thank you
so much! I have learned to calm my nerves. I have improved so much. Fred
taught me so much on how to audition. I am so glad that I now have prepared
songs to audition with. I loved the dance program so much! I improved my
dance skills very quickly and my new skills are fantastic – Thank you Bebe!
 And I also want to say that Jekyll & Hyde was fantastic!!! I enjoyed the
show sooo much! And good luck to the cast and crew in the rest of the
shows!
Kevin Lamonica

Gabby and Collin tried out for Medina High School's "Leaving Iowa" this
past week.  Both went in feeling very comfortable with how they prepared
and how they approached their audition from techniques they learned over
the summer. Even though Medina is very competitive at the high school
level, they both walked away with major roles!  They are convinced that how
they prepared and the confidence your summer program gave them proved to be
a major difference. I have never responded to how I personally felt about
the program but now I wanted to personally thank you for an outstanding
theater program over this past summer. Our kids, from May through August,
really had an amazing learning experience in both the classes and in the
plays and had an awful a lot of fun!   You were able to bring out their
strengths and give them the confidence they need as they continue in their
theater careers. I know it is sometimes hard to measure how successful a
program can be, but I am here to tell you that as far as two kids from
Medina goes, it was the greatest summer and they have you all to thank for
it.
Thanks again, John Husbands (father of Gabby and Collin Husbands)

I’ve learned an amazing amount! The staff is so professional and makes me
feel comfortable, even when I do something wrong! Bob Russell has taught me
so much! I’ve really gone out of my comfort zone. I feel a lot more
confident now.
Abby White

The staff was excellent and very helpful in everything I needed. I had a
variety of classes throughout the day that kept me engaged and learning.
Superb program!
Jerry Shepherd

I grew as a person & an actor. All the people were very nice! Superb!
Kayla Gerogosian

I have learned and grown so much in just 3 weeks!  I can’t wait until next
year to learn and grow so much again!
Madison Chaitoff

Superb! Very Helpful! Fun! The King and I / Jekyll & Hyde - Fred and Bob
are amazing!
Jack Bistritz

SUPERB PROGRAM! Everyone is extremely kind and helpful in teaching useful
things!
Neil Kelly

A great learning experience that gave me techniques I will use forever.
Natalie Fischer

LARA KNOX = AMAZING! HBTI was GREAT!
Seth Bryte

The teachers were brilliant and I loved Molly Cornwell.
Lillie Ross

It was awesome. I loved it. I love Molly. She brought me to the next level
and I learned a lot from her.
Mai Geri

SUPERB PROGRAM!!  Me Gusta El Stafo! Ime gusta bilar! – Dance. I liked
getting to know the students through the productions, then going to the
training – SUPERB! #goodtimes
 Gabby Husbands

Amazingly fun and a great use of time.  I’ll be coming back! I learned a
lot in “Act the Song.”
Grace Wilkinson

Best Theatre training program I’ve ever attended. A lot of fun! I really
learned a lot.
Madison Wolkov

LOVED DOING THE KING AND I! All the staff were very smart and taught really
well! Learned a LOT in “acting the song!”  Loved ballet!  I really improved
in Scene Study class with Bob! I’m definitely coming back next year!
Marley Vidmar

Great! Really helped! Awesome! Definitely coming back next year.
Maggie Gehrlein

Learned new things daily. I was inspired by all of the staff. I made a lot
of really good friends and had a great time.
Ava Julia Valley

I learned more than I thought was possible in two weeks! The entire staff
and program was amazing. It was definitely worth the drive. Superb! I loved
partnering / stage combat!
Cara Corrigan

HBTI helped me grow so much as a performer. I will be eternally grateful
for what I learned. It will always stay with me. Thank You HBTI for making
my summer beautiful!
 Maria Muscatello

Wonderful shows with such talented performers. Staff is wonderful. Lot of
fun classes. I’ve had so much fun this summer at HBTI and with the shows!
I’ve grown so much as an actor and I can’t wait for next year!
Lauren Montana

Ballet – awesome! Partnering – FAVORITE CLASS! Ryan Zarecki and Bebe
Weinberg Katz were AWESOME! Jekyll & Hyde – learned lots and had TONZ of
fun.
Joelle Rosenthal

I had Lara Knox for Acting and she was awesome! I really liked Repertory
dance with Bebe. I really improved my Audition Technique. It helped a lot!
Rachel Rosentha l

SUPERB. I have had a really great time this summer and have learned a lot
and met many great new friends.
Isabel Farr

I really enjoyed this program and look forward to coming back next year!
Sabrina Bauman

Hi Fred, This summer at HBTI was one Hannah will always remember. She has
tried many other theater programs in the area, including the Baldwin
Wallace theater camp last summer, and she feels she learned more this
summer than all the others combined. She liked that it was serious (though
she had lots of fun) and that expectations for the kids were high. I would
say the positives were the variety of the class offerings and the quality
of the instructors. I also really liked that the high school students were
in the same classes with the middle schoolers and were role models for
them. Particularly valuable were the practice auditions, videos and
evaluations. I cannot think of negatives or room for improvement at the
moment, but I'll keep thinking! Thanks for everything. We look forward to
seeing you again soon. Keep us posted on what happens with possible
camps/classes at HB this school year.
Holly Schmidt (mother of Hannah Schmidt)

The production of Jekyll & Hyde I recently saw at the Hathaway Brown
Theatre Institute had so little in common with high school theatre that I
felt compelled to write and share my thoughts. The first thing that struck
me was the discipline that the performers exhibited--a polished ease
onstage that allowed each actor to explore the full range of his or her
character while staying grounded in the blocking, music, combat, etc.
necessitated by the moment. A facility of this nature allowed me, as
audience, to accompany my Victorian-era guides through the terror,
aspirations, and heartache that the characters navigated onstage. A
terrific, atmospheric set and lights, and lovely costumes, aided my
journey. But my final praise is for the fine, professional training that
enabled these young performers to excel as they did. As a
director-choreographer and instructor of acting, scene study, and stage
movement, I have nothing but praise for the innovative and comprehensive
curriculum that the directors of HBTI designed, and that they and their
staff implemented. Bravo, and I only hope I can make it back East to see
more.
Melanie Smith (M.A.)
Sacramento, California

Ally absolutely loved attending the winter break workshops!  Just as an FYI
– Ally has done workshops, private lessons, classes and lessons with many
other theatre programs over the past two years and she thought you, Bob
Russell and Bebe Weinberg Katz offered her more and were far superior to
any of her previous experiences.  She absolutely loved both workshops and
the guidance that was provided. She is begging me to let her spend her
summer with all of you.  I’m just working out the logistics – hopefully it
all works out!
Thanks Fred!!
Robin Y. Holmes (mother of Allison Yellets)

--
Fred Sternfeld, Executive Artistic Director - Hathaway Brown Theatre
Institute <http://www.hb.edu/page.cfm?p=1899>

*Hathaway Brown School *19600 North Park Boulevard Shaker Heights, Ohio
44122