[NEohioPAL] Mamai Theatre Company Presents ARCADIA by Tom Stoppard

Kritty65 via NEohioPAL neohiopal at lists.neohiopal.org
Wed Jun 18 20:23:12 PDT 2014

Mamai Theatre Company
Presents
ARCADIA by Tom Stoppard

Cleveland, Ohio,  June 17, 2014 — Following its critically acclaimed co-production with Theater Ninjas of Stranded on Earth, Mamai Theatre Company continues its 2014 season with Tom Stoppard’s masterpiece Arcadia directed by Co-Artistic Director, Christine McBurney.

One of the finest plays ever penned, Arcadia toggles between the 19th and 20th Centuries to explore the way the past is interpreted through the lens of the present. It is also about math, sex, Byron, and South Pacific botany, among a host of other things. Wrap your brain and heart around Stoppard’s genius and investigate the depths of a mystery hermitage, a transitory tortoise, and a brilliant young female mind eluding the historical record.

Director Christine McBurney says of Arcadia: “Everyone is in search of knowledge in Arcadia: mathematical, carnal, historical, you name it. What an absolute treat to work on this comedy of manners. This detective story. This love story. This intellectual and emotional roller coaster. Playwright Tom Stoppard challenges the actor, the director, and the audience, while also trusting us with this masterpiece. As we bask in his luxurious and complex characters, situations, language, and ideas, we are rewarded for our efforts. Some characters find what they are looking for. Some don’t. No matter. As Hannah tells us, “it’s the wanting to know that makes us matter.”

In 2013, the Plain Dealer said, “Mamai Theatre Company...made a howling entrance onto the city’s artistic scene” and named their inaugural production, Medea, a top 10 theatre event of the year. Also in 2013, The Cleveland Critics’ Circle honored actor Tracee Patterson with a Best Actress Circle Award for her role as Medea in Mamai’s inaugural production.

Mamai Theatre Company was founded in 2010 by Bernadette Clemens, Wendy Kriss, Christine McBurney, and Derdriu Ring. Mamai (pronounced Mah' may) is the Gaelic word for “mother.” Four working mothers, theatre artists, colleagues, and friends arrived at a place where it was time to create opportunities for themselves and their community. “Don’t wait to create” became the inspiration for Mamai Theatre Company. Our mission is to create intelligent, relevant classical theatre that offers an artistic home for Cleveland's theatre artists, and equal opportunity for women in the professional theatre community.

ARCADIA

By Tom Stoppard
Directed by Christine McBurney
Scenic Design by Don McBride
Costume Design by Jenniver Sparano
Lighting Design by Benjamin Gantose
Sound Design by Cyrus O. Taylor

With:

Christopher M. Bohan*
Scott Esposito
Amy Fritsche
Meghan Grover
Charles Hargrave
Khaki Hermann
Stuart Hoffman
Jason Kaufman*
James Lally
Joseph Milan
Michael Sharon
Valerie Young
      (*Actor appears courtesy of Actors’ Equity Association)

July 17th - August 3rd 2014
Thursdays-Saturdays at 7:30 pm
Sundays at 2:30 pm

Pilgrim Congregational Church in Historic Tremont 2592 West 14th Street
Cleveland, OH 44113 (The production space is Air Conditioned and ADA accessible.)

TICKETS: www.mamaitheatreco.org
or phone for tickets:
(216) 382-5146

Adult: $20
Senior (65 & Older): $18
Student (25 & Under): $10

Open seating with the exception of press and sponsors. Please arrive early.

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/mamaitheatreco	 Twitter:http://www.twitter.com/mamaitheatreco Bernadette Clemens, Co-Artistic Director,clemens.bernadette at gmail.com Christine McBurney, Co-Artistic Director,christinemcburney65 at gmail.com

Mamai Theatre Company is a proud community partner with the Gay Games to make them a success! Use discount code CLEARTS to save $30 on the general registration fee. Learn more about the Games at www.GG9CLE.com.

Coming Soon…
WOMAN AND SCARECROW
By Marina Carr
Regional Premiere!
Directed by Pandora Robertson
Starring Bernadette Clemens* & Derdriu Ring*
October 30-November 16, 2014

We are a 501(c)3 non-profit organization.

###