[NEohioPAL] One of our cast members BLOGS about SWEENEY TODD at HBTI

Fred Sternfeld via NEohioPAL neohiopal at lists.neohiopal.org
Tue Jun 24 09:20:48 PDT 2014

*HBTI is thrilled to feature a guest blog by Amanda Merritt, a featured
member of The Company of the upcoming young person's (7th grade - college)
production of *Sweeney Todd*.  In it, she shares some of the feelings and
thoughts that have been evoked by being an artist and collaborator during
the process of bringing this amazing musical to life.*

*Sweeney Todd* has been one of the most exhilarating shows I have ever been
a part of.

I’ve never been in a show more fun, or for that matter, more challenging.
Everything has a distinct purpose; the music, the lines, the staging, all
of it. To put it more tangibly, the show works like a machine stuck inside
of an animal; everything is precise and calculated but in a way that makes
it alive. That’s part of what makes it so different and challenging. You
have to figure out how you display the mechanical structure of the show
without making it monotonous and without the passion that is so deeply
ingrained in the story.

The raw energy that emanates from our brilliant cast can be really
overwhelming, and I usually find myself covered in goose bumps by the end
of every rehearsal. I think our production of *Sweeney Todd* is something
really unique in that way. By nature, the show is incredibly powerful, but
the fact that this power has been captured and expanded upon by teenagers
is something special. I can guarantee you that our *Sweeney Todd* is
nothing like you’ve ever seen before. I myself saw a production of *Sweeney
Todd* twice (I may be a little bit obsessed) before I auditioned, and am in
absolute awe at how the same story can be told in so many different ways.
Visually, we’ve combined the nineteenth century historical setting of the
show with a little bit of a more modern twist.

It has been a pleasure working with such amazing people on an equally
amazing production, so even if you’ve seen the show before, please consider
attending our tale of *Sweeney Todd*!

TICKETS, BIOS, ETC: http://www.hb.edu/page.cfm?p=5798

--
Fred Sternfeld, Executive Artistic Director - Hathaway Brown Theatre
Institute <http://www.hb.edu/page.cfm?p=1899>

 <http://www.hb.edu/>

* <http://www.facebook.com/HathawayBrownSchool>
<http://twitter.com/#!/hathawaybrown>  <http://www.hb.edu/cf_news/rss.cfm>
<http://www.hb.edu/page.cfm?p=4099>  Hathaway Brown School *19600 North
Park Boulevard Shaker Heights, Ohio 44122