[NEohioPAL] Musical Movie Premiere in Oberlin!

Joseph Kowalski via NEohioPAL neohiopal at lists.neohiopal.org
Sat Jul 12 10:33:29 PDT 2014

Young Local Movie Maker to Premiere Quirky Musical Debut
Includes star-studded cameos and showing at Oberlin’s Apollo Theater

Joe Kowalski has made nearly 200 short-form projects, but on July 16th, the 19-year-old filmmaker will be showing his first full-length feature at Oberlin’s Apollo Theater, with half of the proceeds going to the Rainbow Babies and Children’s Hospital.

In the past, Kowalski, also an editor for Sportsman channel’s “The Outdoor Option,” has found success through his many online works, as can be seen on his YouTube channel  ‘PogieJoe’. “My Internet show PogieJoe, the basis of the film, is my prime passion,” Joe says. “It’s been my excuse to completely enwrap myself in creativity and have some fantastic times with family, friends, and even a small spattering of celebrities.” Guests on Kowalski’s show have included John Green, whose New York Times-bestselling book ‘The Fault in Our Stars’ has recently been turned into a major motion picture; Jonathan Demme, the Oscar-winning director of The Silence of the Lambs; and Kristy Lee Cook, a former American Idol contestant and country singer.

Joe’s new project, entitled “One Day: A Musical” was partially funded through crowdfunding efforts and is indeed a musical with seven original songs composed by Kowalski and his father. It includes it’s own blink-or-you’ll-miss-them celebrity cameos including the likes of CHiPs’ Erik Estrada, Family Guy/Garfield/Invader Zim voice actor Wally Wingert, and actor Andy Umberger whose credits include Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Firefly, and Mad Men. The comedic coming-of-age story revolves around a fictionalized version of the director “throwing a self-congratulatory party that goes tremendously awry” in Kowalski’s words. “It’s a very introspective sort of movie about new media and finding balance in your life but it’s also a very fun comedy that we hope will have people snickering into their popcorn.”

On July 16th, 2014 at 9:45 PM, a premiere of the hour-long film will be held at the Apollo Theater in Oberlin. The price will be $5 at the door with half of the proceeds being donated to Rainbow Babies and Children’s Hospital and the other half going towards a second showing. Kowalski promises an “unforgettable night of jolly good fun.”

You can find out more about the film at http://www.pogiejoe.com/one-day-a-musical or by visiting http://www.youtube.com/pogiejoe