[NEohioPAL] Celebrate the life and work of St. Lucian Nobel Laureate Derek Walcott at Karamu House August 17th.

millie keating via NEohioPAL neohiopal at lists.neohiopal.org
Fri Jul 25 19:51:10 PDT 2014

 Please
join us for the Cleveland Premier of "Poetry is an
Island,"
beautiful new feature documentary about the life
and

work of
St.
Lucian Nobel Laureate poet,
playwright and painter Derek Walcott at Karamu
House on Sunday, August
17th,
from 2 to 5
pm.

Derek
was born on a small Caribbean island of African,
English
and
Dutch descent, raised by his single
mother after his father
died,
self published his first book of poems and went on
become
a world renowned writer/artist
reaching the level of
Nobel
Laureate.

The
program will include live St. Lucian Steelpan music, a
reading from the Derek Walcott
play "Dream on Monkey Island,"
images
of
Derek
Walcott's and his son Peter Walcott's paintings

and an
80
minute feature documentary about Derek Walcott's
poetry
and life in St Lucia followed
by
live Skype Q&A interview

with
the director of the film,
Ms.
Ida Does, from The Netherlands.

Tickets
at the door ($12) All proceeds going to Karamu House.
We hope
to see you there.

"Poetry is an Island" flyer
attached. Please help spread the word.

Sponsored by the
the
Anisfield-Wolf Book
Awards, presented by the
Cleveland
Foundation
http://www.anisfield-wolf.org/2014/07/derek-walcott-documentary-poetry-is-an-island-to-pre
miere-at-karamu-house/

More about the
film:

"Derek Walcott, Poetry is an island,
is a feature documentary film about
Nobel
laureate, poet, playwright, and visual
artist, Derek Alton Walcott
(1930).
The
film depicts an intimate portrait of Walcott, as
we visit his art
studio,
his childhood home, and his current residence in St. Lucia. It
also
includes
exclusive archive material from the Nobel Prize Festivities in 1992.

Finally, and perhaps most importantly,
this
film is
about Walcott’s poetry.

Derek
Walcott grew up in St. Lucia–Castries–in a small family. His father

died when
he was
very young, and so, Derek, his twin brother Roderick,
and their
sister Pamela, were raised by their single mother.
Walcott is of
African,
English and Dutch descent. He grew up in an artistic ambiance,

his
father being a painter and writer, and his mother–a teacher–encouraging

him from
early on to write poetry.

In
Poetry is an island  we share Caribbean moments with Walcott
as we
visit
some of
his favorite places, his studio, and St. Lucia home. We travel
through
St. Lucia and encounter childhood friends whose ‘lives
became
poetry’
through Walcott’s work. We discover the anger and frustration
that
the poet
holds against the downtime of the arts as he talks to us about
the
meaning
of poetry to him personally, and about the significance of art
for
humanity.
Family members reveal some of the poet’s life challenges, and

people
who have worked with him speak frankly about their experiences
with
Walcott. Poetry is an island is an intimate portrait of the man,
the poet,
and son
of the Caribbean: Derek Walcott."

www.walcottfilm.com