[NEohioPAL] Henry IV

via NEohioPAL neohiopal at lists.neohiopal.org
Mon Aug 4 06:38:52 PDT 2014

Dear friends and colleagues...
Everyone loves summer's array of outdoor Shakespeare. In NYC it's a downright right of passage to wait in that line for free Shakespeare in the Park... But there are some plays within the canon that we wouldn't go out of our way to see. Rarely produced offerings can often go overlooked... For me- I'm afraid of failure- "I won't know what's going on", I think.
Ohio Shakespeare Festival has been making it a point in the past several years to put up one underproduced work each summer, i.e.- Loves Labour's Lost in 2011.

Shamefully I admit that before last night, I was not at all familiar with Henry IV. It's embarrassing because I prize my years of experience performing some of the Bards best ladies. And so I watched my friends on that stage- happy for them that the show was up... Bittersweet it was  to enjoy their work but not be a direct part of it... And then something happened. I stopped seeing my friends and I experienced Henry IV.
It was incredible. I cried and laughed and actually realized I was on the edge of my seat after the big battle scene at the end! I was blissfully lost in the moment to moment happenings and forgot I was sitting before my own home company.
So, with apologies for being long winded...
I encourage you to go out to Stan Hywet and see this noteworthy production! It is something to behold. Not to mention the fact that you'll be so proud (if you do not already) that you know what happens in Henry IV for the rest of your days!
Just one lady's humble opinion.
Best,
Lara Knox

Sent from my iPhone