[NEohioPAL] Cleveland Premier of a new feature documentary about St. Lucian Nobel Laureate, poet, playwright and painter, Derek Walcott at Karamu on Sunday, Aug 17th.

millie keating via NEohioPAL neohiopal at lists.neohiopal.org
Thu Aug 7 18:16:26 PDT 2014

Join us for the Cleveland Premier of "Poetry is an
Island,"
a beautiful new feature documentary about the life and
work of St. Lucian Nobel Laureate, poet, playwright and painter,
Derek
Walcott at
Karamu House on
Sunday, August
17th,
from 2 to 5 pm.

Walcott was born on a small Caribbean
island of African,
English
and Dutch descent, raised by his single mother
after his father
died, self published his first book of poems and
went on to
become a world renowned writer reaching the level of Nobel Laureate.

He is
regarded as the voice of the people of the Caribbean. In 2004,
Walcott received a Lifetime Achievement
Award from the Anisfield-Wolf

Book Awards, which recognizes writers who
make important
contributions to our understanding of racism and human
diversity.

http://www.anisfield-wolf.org/2014/07/derek-walcott-
documentary-poetry-is-an-island-to-premiere-at-karamu-house/

The program will include live St. Lucian
Steelpan music and a
staged excerpt from the Derek
Walcott play "Dream on Monkey Island,"
which was produced at Karamu to much
acclaim in 2007. Following
the 80 minute
feature documentary about Walcott's work and life in

St Lucia, audience members will be able to ask
questions of the
director of the film,
Ms. Ida Does, by Skype, from her home in
The Netherlands.

Tickets at the door ($12)
All proceeds
going to Karamu House.

"Poetry is an Island"
flyer attached.

Sponsored by the
the
Anisfield-Wolf Book Awards,
presented by

the
Cleveland
Foundation

More about the
film:

"Derek Walcott, Poetry is an
island, is a feature documentary film about
Nobel laureate, poet, playwright, and visual artist, Derek
Alton Walcott
(1930). The film depicts
an intimate portrait of Walcott, as we visit his art
studio, his childhood home, and his current residence in St. Lucia. It
also
includes exclusive archive material
from the Nobel Prize Festivities in 1992.

Finally, and perhaps most importantly, this
film is about Walcott’s
poetry.

Derek Walcott grew up in St.
Lucia–Castries–in a small family. His father
died when he was very young, and so, Derek, his twin brother
Roderick,
and their sister Pamela, were raised by their single mother. Walcott is
of
African, English and Dutch descent. He grew up in an artistic ambiance,

his father being a painter and writer,
and his mother–a teacher–encouraging

him from early on to write
poetry.

In Poetry is an island  we
share Caribbean moments with Walcott as we
visit some of his favorite places, his studio, and St. Lucia home.
We travel
through St. Lucia and encounter childhood friends whose ‘lives became

poetry’ through Walcott’s work. We discover the anger and frustration that

the poet holds against the downtime of the arts as he talks to us about the

meaning of poetry to him personally, and about the significance of art for

humanity. Family members reveal some of the poet’s life challenges, and
people who have worked with him speak
frankly about their experiences

with Walcott. Poetry is an island
is an intimate portrait of the man, the