[NEohioPAL] Review of "My Mother's Lesbian Jewish Wiccan Wedding" at Actors' Summit

Bob Abelman via NEohioPAL neohiopal at lists.neohiopal.org
Sun Aug 10 13:11:44 PDT 2014

Say I do to 'My Mother's Lesbian Jewish Wiccan Wedding'

Bob Abelman

Cleveland Jewish News

Member, International Association of Theatre Critics

Sure, 'N Sync's Lance Bass, Broadway's Andrea McArdle and the Pointer Sisters are a fine way to open the 2014 Gay Games in Cleveland.  But marriage equality advocates looking to spin, depoliticize and depolarize this issue need look no further than "My Mother's Lesbian Jewish Wiccan Wedding," on stage at Actors' Summit.

Actually, it is on stage again in honor of the Gay Games and with the hope that participants, supporters and those who missed the 2012 production will work their way up Route 8 to Akron to take in this musical.  This limited engagement encore production is well worth seeing.

Written by David Hein and Irene Sankoff, the story is grounded in Hein's own nontraditional upbringing.  The show boasts of immediately likable - no, lovable - characters played by exceptionally talented and personable performers, a host of musical numbers - not anthems - that are charming, and a political agenda that is soft-soaped - though not trivialized - so that it touches our hearts rather than grabs us by our throats.

The play begins with Claire (Aubrey Caldwell) undergoing a messy traditional divorce in Nebraska and culminates in a gay wedding with Jane (Dawn Sniadak-Yamokoski) in Ottawa.  In between, Claire discovers her true sexual identity, rediscovers her faith, reunites with her teenage son (Daniel Hoy), and reconciles with her ex-husband (Keith Stevens).

All this is narrated by the playwright's guitar-playing avatar (Kevin Kern); a direct-address device that creates the same homey, meta-theatrical vibe found in Thornton Wilder's "Our Town" and which allows the proceedings to progress at a pace suited to audience reaction.

Under director Neil Thackaberry's gentle touch, every emotional button is pushed and every tender moment is embraced, which nicely sets up the humor waiting just around the corner.

Segues from dialogue into musical numbers are seamless and beautifully supported by J.T. Buck on keyboards and Scott Sexton (alternating with Erik Diaz) on drums.  And because this production requires few moving parts in an open performance space, this show is all about the performers (also including Jennifer Browning, Zach Griffin, Elizabeth Lawson Holmes, and Hope Caldwell) and their superb performances.

For those attending the range of festivities associated with the Gay Games, by all means see Tori Amos at Cain Park and George Takei at The Nightlight.  But don't miss "My Mother's Lesbian Jewish Wiccan Wedding" at Actors' Summit.

WHAT:            "My Mother's Lesbian Jewish Wiccan Wedding"

WHERE:        Actors' Summit, Greystone Hall in downtown Akron

WHEN:           Through August 17

TICKETS:       $10 - $33, call 330-374-7568 or visit www.actorssummit.org