[NEohioPAL] Tickets Now Available for LCCC's Stocker Arts Center Fall 2014 Film Series

Kimberly Carrasquillo via NEohioPAL neohiopal at lists.neohiopal.org
Wed Aug 27 08:49:49 PDT 2014

Tickets Now Available for LCCC's Stocker Arts Center Fall 2014 Film Series

>From exciting thrillers to inspiring dramas, film lovers will enjoy the excitement and variety of the Stocker Arts Center Fall 2014 Film Series at Lorain County Community College.

The fall series, sponsored by the LCCC Film Society, begins on Friday, August 29 with "Philomena."

Patrons, except LCCC students/faculty/staff with valid ID, must purchase an annual membership in the LCCC Film Society for $3 each, which is good through the end of the 2015 Winter/Spring Film Series. The admission price for each film is $6 with the membership card. In addition to tickets to individual shows, anytime tickets are available for $6 each and may be used at any film from now through the end of the Winter/Spring film series.

The Stocker Arts Center box office is open Mondays through Fridays from 12-6 p.m. and one-and-one-half-hours before ticketed events, including films. For more information, call the box office at (440) 366-4040 or go to www.stockerartscenter.com <http://www.stockerartscenter.com>

The Stocker Arts Center Film Series is truly an alternative cinema, as most of these films have not played in Lorain County and are often not readily available on video. Audiences have the opportunity to sample the gourmet flavor of prize-winning foreign films, and the exciting energy and originality of contemporary independent American and international cinema.

The Stocker Arts Center's Film Series focuses on human relationships, moral and social issues, cultural and religious diversity, and universal human emotions and aspirations, including humor, disappointment and tragedy.

Below is a listing of films in the LCCC Stocker Arts Center Film Society's Fall 2014 Film Series. The 2015 Winter/Spring series will be announced in December 2014.

Philomena
Friday, August 29 at 7:30 p.m.

2013  (PG-13)  98 min.  United Kingdom  Director: Stephen Frears
Cast: Judi Dench, Steve Coogan, Sophie Kennedy Clark

Becoming pregnant as a teenager in Ireland in 1952, Philomena was sent to the convent of Roscrea to be looked after as a "fallen woman." When her baby was only a toddler, he was taken away by the nuns for adoption in America. Philomena spent the next fifty years searching for him in vain. Then she met Martin Sixsmith, a world-weary political journalist who happened to be intrigued by her story. Together they set off for America on a journey that would not only reveal the extraordinary story of Philomena's son, but also create an unexpectedly close bond between them. The film is a compelling narrative of human love and loss, and ultimately celebrates life. The book The Lost Child Of Philomena Lee was published in 2009. It acted as a catalyst for thousands of adopted Irish children and their 'shamed' mothers to come forward to tell their stories. Many are still searching for their lost families.

The Hoke Theatre, where the films are shown, will be closed the month of September for repairs. Films will resume on Friday, October 3.

Saving Mr. Banks
Friday, October 3 at 7:30 p.m.

2013  (PG-13)  120 min.  USA  Director: John Lee Hancock
Cast: Tom Hanks, Emma Thompson, Paul Giamatti

Two-time Academy Award winner Emma Thompson and fellow double Oscar-winner Tom Hanks star in "Saving Mr. Banks." When Walt Disney's daughters begged him to make a movie of their favorite book, P. L. Travers' "Mary Poppins," he made them a promise - one that he didn't realize would take 20 years to keep. In his quest to obtain the rights, Walt comes up against a curmudgeonly, uncompromising writer who has absolutely no intention of letting her beloved magical nanny get mauled by the Hollywood machine. But, as the books stop selling and money grows short, Travers reluctantly agrees to go to Los Angeles to hear Disney's plans for the adaptation. For those two short weeks in 1961, Walt Disney pulls out all the stops. Armed with imaginative storyboards and chirpy songs from the talented Sherman brothers, Walt launches an all-out onslaught on P. L. Travers, but the prickly author doesn't budge. He soon begins to watch helplessly as Travers becomes increasingly immovable and the rights begin to move further away from his grasp. It is only when he reaches into his own childhood that Walt discovers the truth about the ghosts that haunt her, and together they set Mary Poppins free to ultimately make one of the most endearing films in cinematic history. Inspired by true events, "Saving Mr. Banks" is the extraordinary, untold story of how Disney's classic "Mary Poppins" made it to the screen, and the testy relationship that the legendary Walt Disney had with author P. L. Travers that almost derailed it.

August: Osage County
Friday, October 10 at 7:30 pm

2013  (R)  121 min.  USA  Director: John Wells
Cast: Meryl Streep, Julia Roberts, Ewan McGregor, Abigail Breslin, Chris Cooper

"August: Osage County" tells the dark, deeply touching story of the strong-willed women of the Weston family, whose lives have diverged until a family crisis brings them back to the Midwest house they grew up in, and to the dysfunctional woman who raised them. Violet Weston (Meryl Streep) has cancer and a propensity for pills and alcohol. She's a difficult woman to deal with and her husband has finally had enough. Violet's family gathers including youngest daughter Ivy, middle daughter Karen (with her new fiancé), eldest daughter Barbara (with her separated husband and teenage daughter), and her sister Mattie Fae (with her husband and son in tow). A family tragedy causes tensions to run high and secrets to come out. The Weston women will be forced to examine themselves and their lives whether they want to or not. Welcome to Osage County, Oklahoma, in the sweltering heat of August.

Ida
Friday, October 17 at 7:30 p.m.

2014  (Not Rated)  80 min.  Poland/subtitles  Director: Pawel Pawlikowski
Cast: Wanda Kulesza, Agata Trzebuchowska, Joanna Kulig, Jerzy Trela
A DISCUSSION SESSION WILL FOLLOW THE FILM.

>From acclaimed director Pawel Pawlikowski comes "Ida,"a moving and intimate drama about a young novitiate nun in 1960s Poland who, on the verge of taking her vows, discovers a dark family secret dating from the terrible years of the Nazi occupation. 18-year-old Anna (stunning newcomer Agata Trzebuchowska), a sheltered orphan raised in a convent, is preparing to become a nun when the Mother Superior insists she first visit her sole living relative. Naïve, innocent Anna soon finds herself in the presence of her aunt Wanda, a worldly and cynical Communist Party insider, who shocks her with the declaration that her real name is Ida and her Jewish parents were murdered during the Nazi occupation. This revelation triggers a heart-wrenching journey into the countryside, to the family house and into the secrets of the repressed past, evoking the haunting legacy of the Holocaust and the realities of postwar Communism. In this beautifully directed film, Pawlikowski returns to his native Poland for the first time in his career to confront some of the more contentious issues in the history of his birthplace. Powerfully written and eloquently shot, "Ida" is a masterly evocation of a time, a dilemma, and a defining historical moment; "Ida" is also personal, intimate, and human.

Lantana
Friday, October 31 at 7:30 p.m.

2002  (PG-13)  121 min.  Australia  Director: Ray Lawrence
Cast: Anthony LaPaglia, Barbara Hershey, Geoffrey Rush, Kerry Armstrong

"Lantana" begins with the camera making its furtive, disconcerting way through masses of the lush tropical shrubbery characterized by a particularly dense and thorny undergrowth that gives this impressive Australian film its name. It stops, finally, at a corpse, a corpse with a wedding ring we can see and a face we cannot. Introduced this way, "Lantana" sounds as if it's going to be a thriller concerned with the identity of the corpse and how it got there. And in part it very much is. But what makes this film striking enough to win seven Australian Film Institute awards, including an unprecedented sweep of all four acting categories, is that it is something unexpectedly different as well. "Lantana" is a police procedural replete with clues, evidence and suspects, but it's also a thoughtful, complex psychological investigation into the nature and difficulties of marriages, particularly those in trouble. Far from clashing, these two aspects reinforce each other and everyone is complicit here, everyone is guilty of some emotional crime, though not necessarily of murder. "Lantana" focuses on four couples, and with a cast top-lined by Anthony LaPaglia, Geoffrey Rush and Barbara Hershey, it doesn't lack for the intensity and emotion to make its story convincing. A remarkably thoughtful drama, "Lantana" makes it clear not only how hard it is to come by any emotional comfort in this life, but more importantly, why we can't give up the struggle.

The Contender
Friday, November 7 at 7:30 p.m.

2000  (R)  130 min.  USA  Director: Rod Lurie
Cast: Joan Allen, Jeff Bridges, Gary Oldman, Christian Slater
A DISCUSSION SESSION WILL FOLLOW THE FILM.

"The Contender," a thriller about the first woman nominated to be vice president, hinges on a question from her past: Did she more or less willingly participate in group sex while she was in college? An unlikely combination of "West Wing" and "The National Enquirer," "The Contender" is the type of exciting political melodrama we don't get much of anymore. As the movie opens, the incumbent vice president has died in office. It is universally assumed that a man will be named to replace him, and a leading candidate is Gov. Jack Hathaway, who has recently made headlines as a hero. The president (played by Jeff Bridges), however, wants to make history by appointing a woman, and Sen. Hanson looks like the best choice. This is one of those rare movies where you leave the theater having been surprised and entertained, and then start arguing. "The Contender" takes sides and is bold about it. Sometimes you can assassinate a leader without firing a shot.

Monsoon Wedding
Friday, November 14 at 7:30 p.m.

2002  (R)  114 min.  India/some subtitles  Director: Mira Nair
Cast: Vasundhara Das, Shefali Shetty, Vijay Raaz, Naseeruddin Shah, Lillete Dubey

Mira Nair's "Monsoon Wedding" is a joyous film that leaps over national boundaries and celebrates universal human nature. It takes place in an India that is finding a balance between tradition and modernity, warmth and an effortless sense of life. It also has paralleling the way its middle-class characters alternate between Hindi, Punjabi and English in their everyday speech and fit venerated cultural practices into a world of email and cell phones. Nair combines all these ingredients in this film about a wedding taking place in India. Given how weddings combine passions, tensions, unresolved emotional issues and inevitable chaos, Nair has upped the ante by making this a Punjabi wedding as well. "The Punjabis are to India," she explains in a director's statement, "what the Italians are to Europe: We party hard, work hard and have a huge appetite for life." The movie follows the large Verma family of Delhi, as their daughter Aditi prepares to marry Hemant, a computer programmer from Houston. He is an "NRI" (non-resident Indian), who has returned to meet the bride selected by his parents for an arranged marriage. Such marriages are an ancient tradition, but these are modern young people, and in the opening scene we see Aditi in a hurried exchange with her married lover, a TV host. She has agreed to the arranged marriage partly out of impatience with her lover's vague talk about someday divorcing his wife. Inescapably foreign yet endearingly familiar, this film manages to gather all its threads so satisfactorily that audiences will feel like celebrating at the wedding as much as any of those guests. "Life is such a comedy," a celebrant says, but it's not often as satisfying as the one we have here.

What's Cooking?
Friday, November 21 at 7:30 p.m.

2000  (PG-13)  118 min.  USA  Director: Gurinder Chadha
Cast: Alfre Woodard, Dennis Haysbert, Ann Weldon, Mercedes Ruehl, Joan Chen

Coming together is the theme of "What's Cooking?," Gurinder Chadha's funny, mouth-watering and deeply moving vision of 21st century diversity and the future of the American family - all set on Thanksgiving. Flowing from California kitchen to California kitchen on this day of reunions and homecomings, Chadha follows four seemingly disparate families as they confront differences and familiarity; laughter and festering anger; shitake mushrooms and mashed potatoes; near-disaster and, ultimately, the astonishing power of love to connect them all.

For more information about films and other events at Stocker Arts Center, visit www.stockerartscenter.com <http://www.stockerartscenter.com> .

Kim Carrasquillo | Writer/Project Coordinator, Marketing and Outreach Initiatives
Lorain County Community College | 1005 N Abbe Road | Elyria, Ohio 44035
t: 440.366.4822  f: 440.366.4113  e: kcarrasq at lorainccc.edu

  <http://www.lorainccc.edu/>     <http://www.lorainccc.edu/up>    <http://facebook.com/lorainccc>    <http://twitter.com/lorainccc>    <http://www.youtube.com/lcccwebvideo>    <http://www.linkedin.com/company/lorain-county-community-college>