[NEohioPAL] Unsolicited review of HAIR at Blank Canvas by Mary Faktor (the actor :-)

Mary Faktor via NEohioPAL neohiopal at lists.neohiopal.org
Sat Aug 30 23:12:37 PDT 2014

OK...I'm aging myself here, but I saw the original broadway HAIR touring company in my hometown of Chicago back in 1969 when I was naive and as dumb as a box of rocks. To me, a clueless teenager at the time, it was just a fun musical with cool songs I heard on the radio...plus, it had real live NUDITY on stage! Wow!  What more could a catholic school girl ask for?  But after living through the Vietnam war, the anti-war protests, the Kent State shootings, etc., seeing HAIR again last night at the intimate BLANK CANVAS THEATRE, was an entirely awesome, mind-blowing, groovy experience.

Yes, the songs are still cool; and yes, there is still brief real live nudity on stage.  But this theater's performance of HAIR was extremely powerful.  Every single actor, without exception, portrayed depth as an individual member of "the tribe."  Every single actor, without exception, sung the meaning and message of their songs with powerful, passionate voices.

The entire production was brilliantly directed by Patrick Ciamacco, and Jessie Cope Miller can be proud of the well-executed choreography of a very large cast in a very small space.  The musicians blended perfectly with the singers, and the costumes were "right on, baby." (Berger really knows how to work his fringe lol) The back wall projections of the era's painful history added yet another dimension to the staging.  CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL ON A FANTASTIC PRODUCTION!

Opening night was a COMPLETE SELL-OUT, and I would venture a guess, the rest of the run through September 13 will be too, so I recommend you reserve your tickets for this one.   Tickets are reasonable, parking is free, and they serve wine, beer and pop.  Visit BlankCanvasTheatre.com for tickets and information.

One friendly suggestion...dress very lightly...it can get quite warm in there with wall-to-wall people and all those enthusiastic, hot-blooded hippies running around.

Until next time...Hugs from

Mary Faktor (the actor :-)
MaryFaktor.com
FaktorsTalentNetwork.com
216-470-5132 (cell)

I appreciate all who LIKE one or all of my FB pages...
     Mary Faktor The Actor
     The Six Ages of Woman Comedy Show
     Faktor's Talent Network