[NEohioPAL] Review of "How We Got On" at Cleveland Play House

Bob Abelman via NEohioPAL neohiopal at lists.neohiopal.org
Fri Oct 31 10:12:32 PDT 2014

Art imitates art in CPH's hip-hop primer 'How We Got On'

Bob Abelman

Cleveland Jewish News, The News Herald, The Morning Journal

Member, International Association of Theatre Critics

"How We Got On'' is Idris Goodwin's hip-hop infused play currently on stage at Cleveland Play House.

In it we find an aspiring 1980s rapper named Hank (Eric Lockley), who embodies every generation's dream of finding a distinctive and defining voice through music.

Aided by fellow high schoolers Julian (Kim Fischer) and Luann (Cyndii Johnson), Hank forges through the disapproval of his Dad, the handicap of living in a Midwestern suburb, and the still-incubational stage of the hip-hop art form.   DJ/MC Selector (Portia) is the play's narrative voice, holding court behind twin record players and a mountain of speakers on a small stage in the rear of a high school gym.  She segues between scenes by explaining to the audience the creative process that drives rap music and occasionally steps into scenes as a parent or teacher.

As a play, there is not much here on which to hang one's hat.

Although the actors are very talented and quite charming, the coming-of-age storyline is thin, the storytelling is uneventful, and production values are merely functional.  Those expecting a more traditional and impressive piece of theater will be woefully disappointed and - from the blank expressions on the many pale and largely Paleolithic faces in attendance - they will find the subject matter foreign and less than enthralling.

They are, of course, missing the main point of "How We Got On" and its manner of presentation.   What's happening on stage is art imitating performance art.

For more of this review, go to:  http://www.clevelandjewishnews.com/features/article_98c8eaba-608f-11e4-b974-7b5db2dfdaf8.html