[NEohioPAL] LAND OF CLEVE REVIEW: Karamu House Welcomes Home August Wilson's Haunting Play 'Joe Turner’s Come and Gone'

via NEohioPAL neohiopal at lists.neohiopal.org
Mon Feb 2 13:28:50 PST 2015

LAND OF CLEVE REVIEW:
Karamu House Welcomes Home
August Wilson's Haunting Play
'Joe Turner’s Come and Gone'

Karamu House is celebrating Black History Month by reviving the dramatic and haunting Joe Turner’s Come and Gone by August Wilson. Performances will take place at Karamu's Arena Theatre through Sunday, February 15.

Directed by Artistic Director Terrence Spivey, Joe Turner’s Come and Gone is set in a black boarding house in Pittsburgh in 1911, where each character passing through has a different relationship to the slavery era of the past as well as to the urban development of the present.

Seth Holly (Cornell H. Calhoun, III) and his wife Bertha (Tonya Davis) are the proprietors of the boarding house. Seth repeatedly refers to his father who owned the place before him, and we can see the influence his father played in his life through Calhoun's multidimensional portrayal of the boisterous man. Tonya Davis (Bertha Holly) plays her character as rock solid as the iron stove situated right in the heart of her kitchen. She observes the other characters in the house as they come and go without judgement and always with a little love.

There are a few long-term boarders, including an eccentric clairvoyant with a penchant for old-country voodoo named Bynum Walker (Butch Terry). The actor creates a very avant-garde character for the time, who looks and acts like he might be right out of a beach house in Malibu. Another frequent resident is Jeremy Furlow (Prophet D. Seay), a young musician who's come up from the South. Seay creates a completely lovable Romeo who seems to just "roll with life" -- a quality we may all wish we could adopt...

TO READ THE FULL REVIEW, VISIT:

http://inthelandofcleve.blogspot.com/2015/02/cleve-review-karamu-house-welcomes-home.html