[NEohioPAL] Calling Actors - The Manhattan Project's Terrible Twos

Manhattan Project via NEohioPAL neohiopal at lists.neohiopal.org
Wed Apr 22 12:47:22 PDT 2015

Between 1942 and 1945, J. Robert Oppenheimer gathered the most brilliant
minds of the age at Los Alamos, New Mexico to create something awesome and
terrible.  The Manhattan Project - Cleveland Lab seeks to do the same for
the Cleveland stage.

The Manhattan Project Turned Two!For two years The Manhattan Project
<https://www.facebook.com/TheManhattanProjectClevelandLab?fref=ts> has
brought together local playwrights and actors to create brand new
ten-minute plays.  Like any fussy toddler, the Manhattan Project will have
a tantrum if it doesn't get what it wants and what it wants is more plays
and brilliant actors to perform in them.

Writing this month are newcomers David Todd, Catie O'Keefe, MP regular
Rachel Baird and more!

Please join us for our next Meet & Greet
<https://www.facebook.com/events/1572509323003733/> at *8:00pm May 5*
at Mahall's
20 Lanes <http://mahalls20lanes.com/> 13200 Madison Ave. Lakewood, OH 44107
on the Main Stage.

Performance <https://www.facebook.com/events/642971182499603/> will be *May
26*, also on Mahall's Main Stage.

What exactly is The Manhattan Project - Cleveland Lab?

The Manhattan Project is a low-stakes, nonthreatening place for actors and
playwrights to meet and work together.

Based on the Theatre Lab model taught at the Carnegie Mellon School of
Drama and inspired by The Brooklyn Generator in New York,
The Manhattan Project wants to introduce Cleveland actors and playwrights
to each other by organizing a bi-monthly production of brand new 10-minute
plays.

Participating artists will meet early in the month and will be broken into
teams, each with one playwright.  The playwright will then be given a
writing prompt to write a new 10-minute play based on the prompt and
including all the team's actors.  The rest of the evening the team members
will get to know each other and get a feel for each other's skills and
voices.

The teams will reconvene later in the month to perform these plays for each
other.

These 10-minute plays are not an end in themselves.  Through these small
collaborations we hope to build relationships between the two most
vulnerable artists in theatre; the actors who put themselves on stage and
the playwrights who pour themselves onto the page.  Perhaps these 10-minute
plays will grow into longer works or maybe these collaborations will become
partnerships on larger projects.

If you'd like to participate, please RSVP at TrinityCrater at gmail.com or
just show up at the Meet & Greet on May 5.

*Some additional notes on the project:*

   - In the spirit of shoe-string theatre, these 10-minute plays should
   have a budget of $0.00.
   - Playwrights will be directing the plays, or an actor from the team can
   volunteer to do so.
   - It's up to each team to schedule rehearsals together.  Based on
   experience, it shouldn't take more than 3-4 hours of rehearsal time to get
   these plays on their feet.
   - Playwrights are invited in advance of the meet & Greet.
   - *Playwrights are invited based on participation in past Manhattan
   Project events, so please come to our events so we can get to know you!*