[NEohioPAL] Theater Ninjas' next original show: The Turing Machine (One weekend only!)

Ryan Lucas via NEohioPAL neohiopal at lists.neohiopal.org
Sun May 10 22:05:51 PDT 2015

Explore the Complex Legacy of Alan Turing with Theater Ninjas in The Turing Machine

Cleveland, Ohio, May 4, 2015 — This May, for one weekend only, Theater Ninjas premieres their exploration of the life and legacy of Alan Turing in The Turing Machine. In this original one-man show, a computer program believes it is the reincarnation of Turing and relives the complex contradictions of this singular genius's life, reflecting on his career, persecution and influence on the modern age. A 'post-human metaphysical biography’, The Turing Machine uses Turing’s papers and letters, historical documents and contemporary analysis to present new insights into this singular thinker.

Turing is perhaps best known as one of the key figures during World War II as one of the leaders in cracking the German Enigma code, as well as the inventor of ‘The Turing Test’, a deceptively simple thought experiment in which a computer might convince a human being it was alive. A relatively open gay man, Turing was arrested in 1952 under England’s Gross Indecency laws and sentenced to an experimental hormone therapy. He committed suicide in 1954 by eating a cyanide-laced apple.

“I used to think Alan Turing was just the ‘first’ computer scientist,” says director Jeremy Paul. “In our research, we’ve realized he was far more interested in the nature of thought itself than simply developing what he called ‘machines that think’. He believed sentient machines would exist one day—thought it was inevitable, in fact—but his interest in humanity itself is just as important as his technological legacy.”

The show stars Ray Caspio whose ‘transcendent’, ‘riveting’ embodiment of this character first appeared in 2014’s Code: Preludes.

“The work he did in World War II and his suicide often overshadows the fascinating life he led—peppered by his forthright honesty and myriad eccentricities—that culminated in a body of work exploring what it meant to be alive,” said Caspio. “Tragedy and misunderstanding touched Alan Turing’s life, but he was a proud man; careful not to paint himself as the victim he is sometimes portrayed to be.”

The Turing Machine will be performed at Survival Kit located on the third floor of 78th Street Studios in the Detroit-Shoreway neighborhood for one weekend only. “As part of the Preludes system—Theater Ninjas’ developing method of making original work—and our continued interest in bringing stories of tech and ethics to the stage, we will be offering the chance to experience the The Turing Machine for just one weekend. We’ll continue to explore and create in this world for the next few years” Artistic Director Paul promises.

The Turing Machine is supported in part by The George Gund Foundation, The Cyrus Eaton Foundation and Cuyahoga Arts and Culture.

Theater Ninjas is the Food Truck of Cleveland Theater. We’re a nomadic company who seeks out new and exciting spaces to perform. Working in non-traditional venues gives us an opportunity to reimagine how and why we tell stories, and helps us to create deep, fascinating worlds for the audience to explore. We’re always experimenting; always rethinking what theater can be: as entertainment, as art and as out-of-the-ordinary experiences.