[NEohioPAL] FREE outdoor Movie w/LIVE storytelling from former Refugees!

Wandering Aesthetics via NEohioPAL neohiopal at lists.neohiopal.org
Thu Jun 18 15:09:35 PDT 2015

The International Institute of Akron & Free Akron Outdoor Movies present…

A FREE showing of the movie
The Good Lie

The International Institute of Akron (IIA), in collaboration with Free Akron Outdoor Movies (FAOM), is proud to announce a free showing of the movie The Good Lie in honor of World Refugee Day. Prior to the film, there will be performances from local Bhutanese and Burmese groups, food from Nepali Kitchen and Stray Dog Cart and stories from former refugees who now call Akron home.

When?
Events begin at 7 PM on Friday, June 26th

Where?

Waters Park located on Olive St. in Akron’s North Hill neighborhood

Schedule of Events:
7-8:30 PM: Food from Nepali Kitchen and Stray Dog Cart, entertainment and stories from former refugees

8:30 PM: Screening of the film The Good Lie

Featuring Academy Award® winner Reese Witherspoon as Carrie Davis, The Good Lie is a movie about survival, struggle, hope, and lasting friendships. Four Sudanese children are orphaned after their village is massacred in the Second Sudanese Civil War. Seeking safety, they make an arduous and dangerous trek through the plains, enduring hardship, death and sacrifice all the way until they reach a refugee camp in Ethiopia. Years later, these youths are among 3600 selected for resettlement in America, only to have the one girl among them sent to Boston, while the three boys must to make a new life in Kansas City. Together, with the help of their new community and new friends like employment counselor Carrie Davis, these young men strive to adjust to their new culture and make peace with their histories.

About Event:

This event is free and open to the public. Due to it being an outdoor event, please dress for the weather and insects. Feel free to bring lawn chairs, blankets and/or pillows for sitting.

Saturday, June 27th is scheduled as the rain date.

For more information, contact Maria Mancinelli at maria.mancinelli at iiakron.org <mailto:maria.mancinelli at iiakron.org>.

You can also join the event on Facebook, https://www.facebook.com/events/115285348805949/ <https://www.facebook.com/events/115285348805949/>.

About The International Institute of Akron

The International Institute of Akron welcomes new Americans to Akron to make our community their home. Our mission is to contribute to the well-being of our community by creating and implementing programs and services that assist those born outside the United States to integrate into American society. We work to promote public awareness of the value of diversity and encourage international communication.

For more information, visit: www.iiakron.org <http://www.iiakron.org/>.