[NEohioPAL] Why are audiences being blown away by HBTI's production of RENT?

Beatrice Katz via NEohioPAL neohiopal at lists.neohiopal.org
Wed Jul 8 13:06:35 PDT 2015

Why are audiences being blown away by HBTI's production of RENT?

*"Honestly, often we don't go out of our way to see shows featuring young
adult performers.  But when student productions are extraordinary, there's
a special kind of excitement you don't get anywhere else,”* said theatre
director/actor Michael Dempsey. * “I was there to support the director.
But ten minutes into the show, something happened.  This was a
professional-level production.  Every actor had powerful voices and serious
acting talent.  And they were being directed so skillfully...  I walked out
of there utterly blown away.  The icing on the cake was this extra level of
appreciation that the audience clearly shared:  we'd been given this gift
by these young people who were so serious about their craft.  And I
realized that I might have denied myself this experience.  I'll never think
the same way about young people's theatre again."*

Last Friday night, the audience for Hathaway Brown Theatre Institute's
production of RENT had the same kind of experience, as evidenced by TWO
spontaneous standing ovations during the show and the following kinds of
reactions:

*"I have...attended local shows in the past few years and have enjoyed them
all. But this show was the best directed, produced and performed show I've
ever seen. The singing and acting were absolutely phenomenal. This was
Broadway in Ohio – I wholeheartedly recommend it for anyone! Truly
amazing!"*  – Jeff Urbaniak

*"It was easy to be moved to tears throughout this extraordinary
production...and even easier to be pulled to my feet like a magnet before
the final note was even sung.  It was just that powerful. Thank you for
moving me in that way."  *– Staci Adelman Vincent

*"Wow! The emotion, energy, and talent that graced the stage at HBTI last
night was phenomenal! The connection between the audience and the
performers was amazing. Everyone in the theatre took a journey of love,
pain, loss, joy, and friendship together, rising up as one for a standing
ovation like I've never experienced." * –  Julie Billinghurst

*"I don't have adequate words to describe the performance of Rent that we
saw today. Fearless, amazing, stunning, moving. The audience was both
brought to tears, and lifted to a standing ovation. The production was as
good as many professional performances we've seen.... Bravo!" – *Cindy
Saltzer

*"All the actors were amazing. I can't get over all the powerful voices.
Cheers to you all!!!"  *– Beth Gumbel

Come see why HBTI's shows are winning awards and garnering such rich
praise.  RENT's final weekend of performances are Thursday, Friday and
Saturday, July 9-11 at 7:30 p.m. and Sunday, July 12 at 2:00 p.m..

Performances are in the Ahuja Auditorium at Hathaway Brown School, 19600
North Park Blvd., Shaker Heights, Ohio 44122. Tickets are $11-15 and can be
purchased online at www.hb.edu/tickets, by calling 216-932-4214 x7270 or at
the door (if available) the day of the performance.

--
Bebe Weinberg Katz
Director

bkatz at hb.edu