[NEohioPAL] "Dreaming Wide Awake" Music Review in 2 weeks!

George Morgan via NEohioPAL neohiopal at lists.neohiopal.org
Wed Sep 9 19:13:07 PDT 2015

Jason Robert Brown Musical Concert to Benefit Making Schools Safer for All

Cleveland, Ohio - September 9, 2015

“Hear my song / It'll help you believe in tomorrow. / Hear my song / It'll
show you the way you

can shine / Hear my song / It was made for the time when you don't know
where to go / Listen

to the song that I sing / You'll be fine.”

These powerful lyrics offer hope and guidance to a lost child, yet they are
words that are

continuously needed and echoed throughout life. Regarding childhood, we
know that being a

child or teenager is difficult. In a time of marriage equality for all and
what is considered to be

the best time for LGBTQ people in the US, when students identify as
lesbian, gay, bisexual, or

transgender life is not as easy as it may be for many of today’s adults
because for coming of

age students there are so many complexities.

“Dreaming Wide Awake” is a musical journey of songs by three-time Tony
winning composer,

Jason Robert Brown that deal with life, relationships, and everything in
between. With a

talented cast of 6 performers who have been seen with the North Coast Men’s
Chorus,

countless local theaters, and the Cleveland Pops Orchestra – Jason Robert
Brown’s story-
telling songs from the 2015 film The Last 5 Years starring Anna Kendrick
and Jeremy Jordan,

Parade, Songs for a New World, and The Bridges of Madison County will hit
on every emotion.

This two-night concert benefit will take place at 8:00 PM on Friday,
September 25 and Saturday,

September 26 at Amistad Chapel in Downtown Cleveland to support GLSEN
Northeast Ohio’s

mission to make schools safer for all students. GLSEN, the Gay, Lesbian &
Straight Education

Network, is celebrating 25 years nationally and 20 years here in Northeast
Ohio. As the leaders

in research regarding the experiences of LGBTQ youth and creation of
professional resources

for educators on how to best understand the needs of LGBTQ students, there
is still work to be

done in today’s schools.

GLSEN NEO asks all people to remember what it was like to be a teenager and
to reflect on

one’s school days - the bad days, the good days, and other moments that may
include peers or

teachers. Perhaps Jason Robert Brown’s song “Being a Geek” from the musical
13 describes

the feelings so many have felt and and continue to feel. With lyrics like
“Being a geek is the

loneliest thing in the world/ I gotta tell ya rabbi / When you're a geek
it's the loneliest thing in the

world. / You're always wondering what everybody's laughing about,” it is
evident that bullying

and discrimination still face so many students who do not fit all of the
norms of our diverse

society. These and so many of Jason Robert Brown’s lyrics ring true for so
many. “Dreaming

Wide Awake” will showcase songs that depict life and its journey with
humanity at its core.

Tickets are $20.00 with a special $10. price for students. Tickets can be
purchased online at

www.glsen.org/northeastoh or the day of the performance. All seats are
general admission at

Amistad Chapel at 700 Prospect Road. in Downtown Cleveland.