[NEohioPAL] Mamai Theatre Company's DEATH AND THE MAIDEN opens Thursday at Kennedy's, Playhouse Square & a WCPN interview with playwright Ariel Dorfman!

Christine via NEohioPAL neohiopal at lists.neohiopal.org
Sun Sep 13 21:23:35 PDT 2015

*Mamai** Theatre Company's critically-acclaimed 2015 season continues
September 17th!*

You can sponsor <http://www.mamaitheatreco.org/#!tickets/cvvh>, join our
tickets <http://www.mamaitheatreco.org/#!death-and-the-maiden/cbsd> online!

*DEATH AND THE MAIDEN*
*By Ariel Dorfman*

Directed by Katia P. Schwarz
Scenic Design by Don McBride
Lighting Design by Robert Peck
Sound Design by Richard Ingraham
Costume Design by Katia P. Schwarz
Properties Design by Cody Swanson

SEPTEMBER 17  - OCTOBER 4, 2015
Kennedy's at Playhouse Square
1501 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland, Ohio 44115

Thursdays - Saturdays at 7:30 pm
Sundays at 2:30 pm

With:
Derdriu Ring* as Paulina
Jeffrey Grover* as Gerardo
Terence Cranendonk as Roberto

      *Actor appears courtesy of Actors’ Equity Association

TICKETS:  www.mamaitheatreco.org
<http://www.mamaitheatreco.org/#!death-and-the-maiden/cbsd>
or  phone the Playhouse Square Box Office directly at 216.241.6000

Adults: $22
Seniors (65 & older): $20
Students (25 & under): $15

Air-Conditioned. Ample area garage and street parking. Open seating with
the exception of press and sponsors. Please arrive early.

Note: This production venue is *not* ADA Accessible.

*This production is supported in part by the residents of Cuyahoga County
through a public grant from Cuyahoga Arts & Culture.*

Details <http://www.mamaitheatreco.org/#!death-and-the-maiden/cbsd>

*DEATH AND THE MAIDEN*
A democratic age is dawning in an unspecified Latin American country. When
her husband offers hospitality to a stranger, Paulina, haunted by her past,
believes she recognizes their guest’s voice as that of the man who tortured
her 15 years earlier. The 48 hours that follow radically alter the lives of
all three. This 1991 thriller gave a new voice to women’s survivorship
awareness, and is an unforgettable three-handed acting triumph.

Mamai Artistic Associate and Director Katia P. Schwarz notes: “What
resonates for me is that Paulina’s experiences represent the stories of
countless others who have lived through the brutal dictatorships of Latin
America, South Africa’s Apartheid era and others. The play serves as a
stark reminder of the human rights violations we continue to witness in the
world today.”

*Special Pre-Show Event on 90.3 WCPN*
Tune in to hear Dee Perry chat with playwright Ariel Dorfman and a scene
from the production on "The Sound of Applause" at 2 & 10 pm on Thursday,
September 17th.

*Special Post Show Events at Kennedy's*

*Sunday, September 20thLIVING UNDER A DICTATORSHIP*
Panelists will include guests Alex Quintana, Ricardo Morales, Ernesto
Guevara, and Alondra Pacheco, all of whom have experienced life under
dictatorship.

*Sunday, September 27thHEALING FROM TRAUMA *
Guest Panelists Annette Kent and Kate Biddle of the Cleveland Rape Crisis
Center.

*Local Public Funding Supports & Enriches the Work of Mamai Theatre Company*

In 2015, Mamai Theatre Company received over $3,700 in support from
Cuyahoga Arts & Culture, which has helped us produce our third season as
Cleveland’s newest classical theatre.  This type of funding strengthens our
community and enriches the quality of life in our neighborhoods for people
of all ages.  We’d like to take this opportunity to tell you a little bit
more about this extremely important funding partner.

The financial support received from the residents of Cuyahoga County
through Cuyahoga Arts & Culture will help Mamai Theatre Company bring you
our third production this season: Ariel Dorfman’s important play, Death and
the Maiden.  In keeping with our mission to create equal opportunity for
women in the professional theatre, this production features a strong female
protagonist and is directed by a woman.

Cuyahoga Arts & Culture is the public funder of arts and culture
organizations, programs and events in Cuyahoga County.  Cuyahoga Arts &
Culture’s sole funding source is a dedicated cigarette tax levied within
Cuyahoga County. Established by voters in 2007, CAC has awarded over 1,200
grants since then, distributing over $125 million in tax dollars to more
than 300 organizations based in the County.

Cuyahoga Arts & Culture’s sole funding source is a dedicated tax within
Cuyahoga County. Renewal of this funding source will be on the ballot on
November 3 for voters to consider. Please take a few minutes to learn more
about this important source of public funding and Cuyahoga Arts & Culture
by visiting their website: cacgrants.org.