[NEohioPAL] Proofreading Reviews Before Publishing by Lenne

Stephen via NEohioPAL neohiopal at lists.neohiopal.org
Thu Sep 24 09:57:10 PDT 2015

I have been waiting for some peacock to respond to the original PROOF READ,
PROOF-READ, PROOFREAD posting in this pedantic fashion (see the posting below). All of the experts who
have responded to the original posting (English Professors, Novelists, Newspaper
Columnists), have completely agreed that the usage (or use), of the word PROOF
READ, PROOF-READ, PROOFREAD are all correct. The particular Literary Agent who
responded to the original inquiry regarding the usage (or use), of the word is a
20 year veteran of the publishing world, as well as a VP of one of the most
prestigious Literary Agencies in the world.

My posting may prompt you to write a response, and I will then, respond
back. Perhaps our repeating Isorhythm pattern will
continue until the NEOHIOPAL Administrator removes the thread. But sometimes, the things you read are just plain right, if one really cares to listen, and learn.
The "Isorhythms" posting - -  It's not really a surprise that a literary agent would say that both forms are correct. In modern usage, pretty much anything goes, as the lines between formal written English and colloquial usage continue to be blurred, deconstructed, and heartily ignored.

What's more fascinating to me is that a college professor with an interest in correct usage would say, 'They know! They are a pro!' when referring to a single literary agent....

I'm also neither defending nor correcting anyone, but I think even your expert would agree: sometimes, things are just plain wrong.