[NEohioPAL] LAND OF CLEVE INTERVIEW: Winging It With Local Actor Pat Miller, Star of Blank Canvas Theatre's Batty Musical 'Bat Boy'

Cleve Land via NEohioPAL neohiopal at lists.neohiopal.org
Fri Oct 30 12:15:28 PDT 2015

*LAND OF CLEVE INTERVIEW: *
* Winging It With Local Actor *
*      Pat Miller*
*Star of Blank Canvas Theatre's *
*     Batty Musical 'Bat Boy'*

*Land of Cleve: You have appeared in Ohio as Bat Boy in college before your
current run at Blank Canvas -- how is your appearance different, and how is
it the same?Pat: I first performed this role my freshmen year of college at
the University of Toledo. I was studying film and studio art, but still had
an interest in theatre. Auditioning as a college freshmen, I was simply
hoping to be cast in the show. I can still remember seeing my name next to
Bat Boy on the cast list, and being filled with excitement and
fear!Luckily, both of these experiences have been completely different –
and I mean that in a good way. I was unfamiliar with the material when I
first began this journey. Thankfully, the college rehearsal process was
much longer, allowing me more time to learn the music, memorize the lines,
and discover how to transform into this creature. I owe a great deal to the
University of Toledo production staff, including my director Dr. Edmund B.
Lingan, my musical director Jim Norman, and my choreographer Jessica
Bonnenfant-Coogan.Eight years later, I am pleased with how quickly the
music and lines came back to me. This has been extremely beneficial during
the five week rehearsal process at Blank Canvas Theatre. I have been able
to focus more on my physical transformation, detailing every movement and
motivation to make Bat Boy as real as possible. Director Patrick Ciamacco
has helped me immensely with discovering all kinds of new ways to
physically and emotionally divest in this role.One of the coolest
differences between these two experiences has been my appearance. We went a
little more natural at the University of Toledo, mainly buzzing my hair and
using custom-fit rows of ferocious top and bottom teeth. At Blank Canvas,
my head is completely shaved, creepy contact lenses cover my eyes, jagged
teeth line my mouth, and lots of pale makeup covers my skin. Audience
members, cast mates, and production staff have told me, “I’m not sure I
would know this was you if I didn’t already know you were playing Bat Boy.”
I love that! As an actor, my favorite roles are the ones that allow me to
completely transform myself into someone very different...*

*READ THE WHOLE INTERVIEW AT:*

*http://inthelandofcleve.b
<http://inthelandofcleve.b>**logspot.com/2015/10/fast-five-winging-it-with-local-actor.html
<http://logspot.com/2015/10/fast-five-winging-it-with-local-actor.html>*