[NEohioPAL] National Endowment for the Arts Chooses Ohio Dance Theatre Artistic Director Denise Gula for the National "Tell Us Your Story" Campaign

Ohio Dance Theatre via NEohioPAL neohiopal at lists.neohiopal.org
Fri Nov 6 07:03:31 PST 2015

National Endowment for the Arts chooses Ohio Dance Theatre Artistic Director, Denise Gula

for the National "Tell Us Your Story" Campaign

One of only 5 chosen in the state of Ohio

In celebration of its 50th Anniversary National Endowment for the Arts has gathered stories from the general public and grantees, elected officials and agency directors,

artists and art lovers across the country about the importance of art in their lives and their communities. -

As a choreographer and founder/artistic director of Ohio Dance Theatre, I sometimes have the luxury of creating socially relevant work. In this particular case, I was able to use my art form to create something that I also feel passionate about. Blood Stripe describes the struggle of a Marine veteran, one of the millions of Americans who fought in Iraq and Afghanistan and returned home profoundly changed by the soul-wrenching experience of combat. During the Iraq War, 48 Marines stationed with the 325th Marine Battalion were killed in Iraq. My son-in-law was among the many who "survived" but came home forever changed. I made the ballet because I felt helpless witnessing my daughter's family as they struggle with long-term effects of PTSD and TBI (Traumatic Brain Injury). Blood Stripe uses dance to communicate the military experience, expressing through movement thoughts that words often cannot say. The name of the piece comes from Marine jargon that references the red band on dress uniform trousers worn by officers and NCOs, symbolizing blood shed by marines in war.

Read the full story here

Kevin Urquhart
Registrar
Ohio Dance Theatre