[NEohioPAL] *** Revised *** seeking advice

autumn ridler via NEohioPAL neohiopal at lists.neohiopal.org
Thu Jan 28 09:09:18 PST 2016

I have a 16 yr old who is studying Opera with a local voice coach, for 2 years already!  It has been recommended by college professors , at Oberlin and Baldwin Wallace, and current working international Opera Professionals that she attend an intensive summer conservatory such as Interlochen. The issue I have is that I support a family of 4 on a teachers salary and pay for the voice lessons with my tax return. Interlochen costs $9000, that covers room, food, masters classes, daily voice lessons, culminating performance,  etc for a 6 week high intensive course which would help her prepare for college and college auditions. (The better prepared she is the greater the odds of getting the college conservatory of choice with Full Scholarship potential!) There are other conservatory courses that are half the cost (some reputable and some not). Even with financial aid the out if pocket cost would be more than I could afford (for most summer intensives!) The better prepared she is the greater the odds of getting the college conservatory of choice with Full Scholarship potential!***She hopes to get into highly competitive vocal conservatories for college (Julliard and the Boston Conservatory are her top choices) ***She already belongs to the Cleveland Orchestra Youth Chorus and Singers Company Youth Ensemble with possibilities with Great Lakes Light Opera pending. Current schedule of chorus, lessons and theatre gives no time for extra things (including a job) for her during the school year***She has been doing community theatre since she was 10, in addition to school plays. Her theatre resume fills an 8x10 page*** Theatre includes My Mercury (Teen shows)***having her do vocal lessons via the internet is NOT an option she must have the in person lesson.***She has done classes at BW and currently registered for the Beck Center.***She is registered for competitions that give college scholarships only.
So I am seeking advice on how to find funding for her to attend a summer intensive.  Here is a list of obstacles:
We live in a small town (2 stop lights) that doesn't allow door to door sales unless you are the school or scouts. *** We are an hour away from Cleveland***
Not permitted to sell anything in school that's not for school. The school can not help with funding.  ***She goes to a small school (270 students in grades 6-12) and her choir director doesn't do OMEA events so my daughter can't enter those.
We do NOT belong to a church. *** Local churches only allow members to sing or join the choir.***our small local rec center doesn't have facilities to help.***most places, schools/church/theatre cost money ($300-$3000) to rent for any event and I don't have the money for that
I have looked for grants and have been unable so far to locate ones that fit our needs.
My family doesn't have money to help out. ***Her father is not involved and his family doesn't have money either.
Friends live an hour away and don't travel to our town for parties that offer free drinks, they won't travel here for a concert/fundraiser. ***Most of my friends have less money to spare than I do!
I've had a GoFundMe page offering gifts at different levels for almost 2 years and have raised $0! **Other crowdfunding pages would be no help.***her current schedule doesn't permit space for a job in our small town (only place for minors to work is goodwill and burger king, neither flexible with her schedule)***She needs a summer vocal conservatory camp NOT a choir or musical theatre camp.

Thank you for any information offered. if your going to send me a link to a summer camp please make sure it is a vocal conservatory camp. ***FYI for anyone looking there are many fees beyond the registration fee that may or may not be listed on the camp website. (if its out of state they may or may not include room/board into the camp cost) Musical theatre or choir camps can be $400-500 per week with a vocal conservatory camp being an additional $400 or more per week.

Autumn