[NEohioPAL] REVIEW OF WANDERING AESTHETICS PERFORMANCE: ‘Tails From The Witch's Cauldron’ offers unconventional, experimental fun

Wandering Aesthetics via NEohioPAL neohiopal at lists.neohiopal.org
Fri Jan 29 07:29:10 PST 2016

From Connie Williams, The Akronist <http://www.theakronist.com/>:

I had the pleasure of previewing Wandering Aesthetics’ latest storytelling production, 'Tails From The Witch's Cauldron (Stories of Blood, Sex and Rock 'N' Roll),' which opens Friday, Jan. 29, at SageRock at 15 Broad Street in Akron.

Co-artistic Directors Benjamin Rexroad and Kyle Jozsa and actress Nici Romo collaborate to create a storytelling experience like none I’ve experienced before.

I’ve been to a great number of Wandering Aesthetics events in the past, and they often lean toward the unconventional. With this production, they take unconventional theatre to a whole different level. 'Tails From The Witch's Cauldron' is wacky, interactive, vaudeville-flavored fun.

Jozsa charms the audience with his masterful storytelling skills and his mischievous demeanor.

Romo’s gift for physical comedy and her fearless onstage abandon combine to deliver a winning performance.

Rexroad, who directs 'Tails From The Witch's Cauldron,' makes a rare onstage appearance that has me hoping he will make a habit of it.

I mentioned earlier that this show is interactive, and it certainly is. The storytellers do not just break the “fourth wall"; they obliterate it.  The audience is told at the outset to feel free to interact with the performers.

I asked Rexroad about this element of the production and he replied, “The audience can be as much a part of it as they want to be.” He went on to add that he enjoys trying new ideas and experimenting with what he finds interesting.

Three projects proposed by Wandering Aesthetics Theatre Company are finalists in the Knight Arts Challenge, a competition sponsored by the Knight Foundation. Winners of the Knight Arts Challenge will be announced in March, and recipients are required to raise matching funds to receive their awards.

Wandering Aesthetics is hosting this production and will also host other events in an effort to raise the funds needed to receive the full sum awarded so that they may continue to bring innovative arts programming to Akron and beyond.

Performance dates are Friday, Jan. 29th at 8 PM; Saturday, January 30th at 8 PM; Thursday, February 4th at 8 PM; Friday, February 5th at 8 PM; and Saturday, February 6th at 8 PM.

For ticket information, go to www.watheatre.com/boxoffice <http://www.watheatre.com/boxoffice>.

To learn more about Wandering Aesthetics, go to http://www.watheatre.com/ <http://www.watheatre.com/>.