[NEohioPAL] RESPONSES TO::::: Commercial Casting

Peter E. Toomey via NEohioPAL neohiopal at lists.neohiopal.org
Sun Jan 31 13:48:48 PST 2016

The original message was
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2016 16:14:05 +0000 (UTC)
From: Jennifer via NEohioPAL

I quoted it at the bottom of mine.

I do a ton of uncompensated independent film (because the producers have
a passion that I want to support)
and pro-bono/very-reduced for charities (that I believe in).
So I wrote this as a fun way to poke at "no pay for profit-producing
business development messages".

Must have struck a nerve --
HEARD FROM TG-W:
"(1) ... ok to do this Project because you can use it for a Reel and on
your resume ... you can also use it as experience on your resume ...
"(2) I know this should be a paid role but ...
"(3) ... I know how the Industry works sometimes"
(Numbers are mine.)

Now MY thoughts --
I appreciate TG-W's reaching out to encourage me as an actor.  But --
(1a)  No it's not OK.  Because if THE DOC is going to make money off
this commercial, why is it OK for ME not to?
(1b)  I could use if for experience/reel/resume even if doc DID PAY me.
(1c)  To the part of this that suggests inexperienced novice actors
should work free as a learning experience -- do you really think the
producer is going to hire you, or go for the more-experienced actor who
(unfortunately) is willing to give themselves away?

(2)  Glad.  Then you must have applauded at 1a.

(3)  It works this way only to the extent that WE ALLOW it to work this way.
For me, I'm pitching this bitch.
And I'm NOT sending a resume.
Nothing personal.

FROM MR:
"you said for a DOCTOR?"

Yeah.  A Doctor.
Don't know if it's Obamacare or Medicare Reimbursements or oppressive
medical school student debt -- but I can only imagine that something has
this poor doc absolutely DESTITUTE.
Sad, to be unable to pay his production company enough, that they can't
throw a COUPLE HUNDRED bucks at the talent.

I'm sure that both the Doc and the producers APPRECIATE FULLY that it is
the ACTORS who will be speaking to his PROSPECTIVE PATIENTS.
Their faces, their words, their EMOTIONS.
Persuading them of the Doc's worthiness to treat those patients' ills.

WAIT A MINUTE --  let's speculate:
what if the Doc never told the Producer "don't pay my actors"  ??
What if he pressured the producer to cut their price.
And what if they did so by deciding no-pay.
Hmmm.

Yet the overall program has enough money to -
- reformat and post to the doc's website
- pay WKYC to run the ads for "undetermined amount of time"
But not to pay the ACTORS ????