[NEohioPAL] Setting the Record Straight for Mr. Tooney RE: NewsChannel 5 Casting Practices

Peter E. Toomey via NEohioPAL neohiopal at lists.neohiopal.org
Thu Feb 4 20:03:36 PST 2016

Thanks Mr. Swinderman for sharing the philosophy at WEWS -- " for our
paying advertising clients, we always pay our actors".
It is indeed heartening to know that we actors have an ally at TV5.

Now as to the "inaccuracies" --

1.  My name is spelled "Toomey".

2.  "in a recent post suggested that NewsChannel 5"  --
well, I just re-read every word of my postings.
I never mentioned "NewsChannel 5" or "WEWS".
So that inaccuracy is inaccurate.
(I am forwarding this message and my entire transcript to you directly
at info at 1031films.com.)

In fact, "Billy" did in his response to me:
"Mr. So-And-So set the pace casting actors to do a channel 5 commercial
for free a while back.  Now a doctor ... looking for actors to work sans
pay on a commercial shoot to be aired on channel 3"
Easy for Billy to connect a past event (TV5 looking for "fans") with the
current "doctor" no-pay.
Easy mistake for you to make. No apology necessary.

3.  "NewsChannel 5 ... taking advantage of local actors" --
You said "the station produces promos intended to promote its newscasts
we do seek unpaid extras or 'fans' ... not ... ACTORS"
That's cool.  That clarification helps the Talent Community know that
you don't need talent, just a warm body.

4.  "taking advantage" I think WEWS does, a little. "not have a the
budget in the promotions department"
That's a shame.  Because, of course, the ratings of the news department
contribute to the ratings of the station, which drive station revenue
from ad sales.
Certainly qualifies for my "poke at no pay for profit-producing business
development messages".  Would you not agree that the goal of your promos
is to increase profits?
If so, as Mary Faktor so ably noted,  "When Money Is Made, The Talent
Gets Paid!"

5. "Furthermore we have hired many actors for paid roles after they have
participated in some of the unpaid extra promo work as a token of our
appreciation."
Oh.  So you "many" times skip the "fans" when actual "actors" come out
for your freebies.  I see.
Takes me back to #4, just saying.

6.  "So if you'd like to submit your headshot and resume for future
COMMERCIAL consideration" [emphasis mine]
I'm kinda guessing the "you" is "Talent Community" and not me
personally.  But we're both professionals, your response was reasoned, I
know I can contribute to your creative, so watch for me at
eric.swinderman at wews.com !

Peter Toomey
www.LINKEDIN.com/in/PeterToomeyActor