[NEohioPAL] Announcing the First Ever Manhattan Project Leap Play!

Manhattan Project via NEohioPAL neohiopal at lists.neohiopal.org
Mon Feb 29 05:46:56 PST 2016

*Between 1942 and 1945, J. Robert Oppenheimer gathered the most brilliant
minds of the age at Los Alamos, New Mexico to create something awesome and
terrible.  The Manhattan Project - Cleveland Lab seeks to do the same for
the Cleveland stage.*

Announcing the First Ever Manhattan Project Leap Play!

The Manhattan Project is thrilled to announce a project that could outlive
us, our first Leap Play!

Six of our favorite playwrights will each write a short play this March and
upon turning them in, those plays will be sealed in an envelope, not to be
performed until next Leap Day, February 29, 2020!

Let's hope Nuclear Armageddon can wait!

A Day Like No Other!

What could be more rare and special than a day that comes but once every
four years; a day that blips in and out of existence like exotic quantum
particles in the Large Hadron Collider?

We at the Manhattan Project are apt to celebrate things that are rare and
strange, things as rare and strange as when on Leap Day the reigning
Punxsutawney Phil is sacrificed to the Leap Gods to ensure four more years
of good television.

The people of Western PA have their traditions, and we have ours.  Less
bloody, but just as terrifying, we at the Manhattan Project make the
following offerings to the Leap Gods!

Three new plays that promise to be AWESOME and TERRIBLE:

   - *Ripcord* by Tom Hayes
   - *Al, Why Haven't I Leaped?* by Rachel Baird Rudisill
   - *X Marks the Spot* by Arwen Mitchell

Please join us Tonight at 8:00pm
<http://facebook.us8.list-manage.com/track/click?u=24718b1d6d5f7c398165fdc7b&id=3e4a7e8ccb&e=c3ea71f0f7>
 at Mahall's 20 Lanes
<http://facebook.us8.list-manage2.com/track/click?u=24718b1d6d5f7c398165fdc7b&id=205bb36c03&e=c3ea71f0f7>

13200 Madison Ave. Lakewood, OH 44107
<http://facebook.us8.list-manage.com/track/click?u=24718b1d6d5f7c398165fdc7b&id=ac502df777&e=c3ea71f0f7>
for
this quadrennial spectacle!

The Origins of Leap Day from Manhattan Project Leap Day Historian, Les
Hunter:

*Leap Day celebrates the pagan festival of hlupe (archaic: Anglico
Absurdium  Latinslaximus), a holiday wherein men would compete in various
games of leaping (the long leap, the really, really big leap and leap of
faith) as a way to show off to ladies and also is considered to figure into
the religious rites of pre-Christian peoples--as a truly big leap would
surely land a good man on the sun, or better yet, on the moon--and would
thereby make him Very High Up, Indeed. The term "long-legged" supposedly is
derived from this ancient tradition. *

*We all know that on Leap Day women propose to men and that you can murder
someone without it being a crime, but did you know these fun Leap Day
facts?*

   - If a bachelor sees his shadow on Leap Day, he'll have four more years
   of eating Hot Pockets over the kitchen sink.
   - Internet comment sections are filled with hugs instead of vitriol.
   - In Philadelphia, if you order a cheese steak and say "put some leap on
   it" they'll punch you in the face.
   - The Freemasons invent a new color and hide it from the world.
   - If you lose your virginity on Leap Day, you're obligated to marry that
   person, or send them a nickel every Leap Day for the rest of your life.

*Thank you Andy Kopas and Rob Anton for your steadfast Leap Day Research!*

*Save the Date!*
The Manhattan Project's next Meet & Greet
<http://facebook.us8.list-manage.com/track/click?u=24718b1d6d5f7c398165fdc7b&id=67df0c4b0c&e=c3ea71f0f7>
will
be on April 6.
The following Performance