[NEohioPAL] BLOOMS OF STEEL, THE MUSICAL Sprouts into Lorain!

Jeremy Benjamin via NEohioPAL neohiopal at lists.neohiopal.org
Tue Apr 5 08:26:25 PDT 2016

The Lorain Historical Society, in partnership with the Lorain Palace Theater
and Lorain County Community College¹s Theater Department, is proud to
present Blooms of Steel, The Musical, written by Kimberly Aldrich-Ceja,
directed by Skip Corris, with musical direction by David Blazer, Friday,
April 22 and 23 at 7:30 p.m. and Sunday, April 24 at 3 p.m. at the historic
Lorain Palace Theater, 617 Broadway Ave., Lorain.

Tickets are $13 in advance and $15 at the door.  They are available through
The Palace website www.lorainpalace.org or by contacting The Palace Box
Office at 440-245-2323.

³We hope that people of all ages attend one of the performances.  It is our
hope that by rekindling some of the nostalgia for the Lorain of the past,
and coming to a better of understanding of its rich tradition and history,
the community can find inspiration and motivation to help re-vitalize our
City,² says Barb Piscopo, Executive Director of the Lorain Historical
Society.  ³I found myself singing the songs in my head long after I saw the
play,² continued Piscopo.  ³The lyrics and the melodies are filled with a
haunting nostalgia and others are a rousing cry to rally around our rich
heritage and continue the work of re-birthing the City.²

Kimberly Aldrich-Ceja, playwright, summarizes the play with the following:
Based on the play of the same name, commissioned in 2008 by the Lorain
County Metro Parks, Blooms of Steel, The Musical tells the story of the
community that grew around the steel mill in Lorain through the family
history of fictional steel mill retiree, Emil Hubiak, a recent widower
clinging to the last threads of independence. When his grandson moves his
family in after losing his posh Florida home to foreclosure, Emil is
determined to make their temporary stay permanent by showing them how deeply
rooted they are in the city¹s history. While the family attributes his love
and loyalty to a once-vibrant and proud city to the ramblings and sketchy
memories of an old man, soon, they too are caught up in the magic and
resilience of a city on the brink of rebirth and are reminded there really
is no place like home.

Partial funding for this project is made available through the Ohio Arts
Council.

For more details about the event and for additional contact information,
please call or email Barb Piscopo, Executive Director of the Lorain
Historical Society at 440-245-2563 or bpiscopo at lorainhistory.org.

Jeremy K. Benjamin
Director of Theatre
Production Manager/Technical Director/Designer
Lorain County Community College
(440) 366-7120
jbenjami at lorainccc.edu

-- ³Yesterday is history.