[NEohioPAL] Ensemble's Jerusalem Fizzles

Ensemble Theatre via NEohioPAL neohiopal at lists.neohiopal.org
Fri May 6 14:39:00 PDT 2016

Stephen,

I first want to thank you for attending "Jerusalem" and thank you for
sharing your thoughts about the production. You know, in the movie "Almost
Famous" about a young Cameron Crowe as a critic for "Rolling Stone", there
is a scene where the fictional band he is on the road with has a dust up
over a t-shirt. In the conversation one of the band members turns to the
rest and says "You love this t-shirt, it lets you say everything you want
to say." Perhaps Ensemble's production of "Jerusalem" is your t-shirt, and
in this great country you should say what you want to say and I welcome
that. And perhaps your unsigned review is my t-shirt. Because, honestly,
whatever is good in this production is because of the actors and the
production team. They are professionals and to a person are some of the
most talented and deserving artists I have had the luck to work with. You
are not alone in your critique of the acting, I believe there have been
other critics that have called their ability and professionalism into
question. These critics like you perhaps like different styles of theater
or work at or are on the payroll of other theaters that receive more
favorable reviews from them. But for them, like you, to attack their talent
and professionalism is ludicrous and beneath even the most elementary
reviewer's dignity and judgement.

I also appreciate the fact that you readily admit that you did not
understand the play. I wish more criticism would do that because I think
there is no shame in it. There is only shame in trying to cover up that
feeling with hate, venom and attacks.

I think like a lot of great works, in this case I am referencing the
"Jerusalem" script, it can take time to understand and maybe you simply
just disagree with the idea of the work, that love, freedom and being full
of life is more important than a housing development. That the communities
we live in are made up of valuable people even if we don't all look the
same or agree on everything. That perhaps confusion is part of life and
that we are all part of a great legacy that is our humanity and if we lose
that then we lose what makes us human. And when we lose that we can tear
down the commons and deny all of the small yet titanic beautiful moments in
our lives. This play and Rooster's wood are those commons and contain those
moments. Perhaps this t-shirt you have left our production is really a drum
and we are using it to call the giants to defend us from the hate and fear
of not understanding something and rather than acknowledging it focus on a
flask and try to tear it down.

As for me and my directing ability... There is no golden touch. There is
only a lunch pail, a story and enough love to tell it with people I love.
They are the ones I will defend until the end of time. Their work is what
makes things successful like this production. Whatever award or praise is
given to the direction it is misplaced in my mind, theater is a
collaborative art form and the praise should go to the collaborators. It is
their doing in the moment that creates the catharsis. For me, and I believe
the great majority of our audiences at Ensemble, that catharsis coming out
of Act 3 is very real and necessary in reminding us what it means to be
human and what is important to us and our community.

Lastly, we carry on the professional tradition of Ensemble theater that was
started 37 years ago now by Lucia Colombi, I think we are doing some of the
most important work we have ever done as a company and I think Lucia would
be very proud of all of the Ensemble. If you feel like you want to be part
of the Ensemble, if some of the anger in your post comes from feeling alone
or outside, please let me know we can talk about it and find room for you,
it is a big tent and one with much love. But, please do not insult the
professionalism of the artists or the theater.  This is where "I will draw
the line in the chalk and push back hard" (as Rooster says in the play)
against anyone, not just you, that includes other critics that resort to ad
hominem attacks or simply ignore quality local professional work entirely
for whatever reason by not even bothering to show up and review the play.

Again, throw darts at my picture all day long, but if you want to be more
as a person as a community member as a champion for the power of love in
art then join us.

Regards,
Ian Wolfgang Hinz
Director "Jerusalem"
Proud Member of Ensemble Theatre

P.S. For all those other than Stephen reading this feel free to come visit
us and see this amazing production. I couldn't be more proud of this
outstanding cast and how they have embraced and tell this beautifully
written story. You can get tickets here www.ensembletheatrecle.org or even
here www.ensemble.theater or call the box office at 216.321.2930 We hope to
see you in our audience.

--
*Information*
info at ensemble-theatre.org
2843 Washington Blvd.  Cleveland Hts., OH 441118
216-321-2930/216-202-0938
*www.ensembletheatrecle.org <http://www.ensembletheatrecle.org>*