[NEohioPAL] Acting Is Not A Business (And Other Tall Tales)

Brian Bowers via NEohioPAL neohiopal at lists.neohiopal.org
Thu Jun 16 07:32:13 PDT 2016

“Hey, I want you to introduce you to my friend Brian. You’ll really like
him. He used to hang out with us back in college. And he’s an actor!”

“An actor, huh?” (Snicker and sneer). “So what’s your REAL job?”

Does this conversation sound familiar? I’ve been through it myself many
times throughout the years. I’ve gone down a different path since I’ve had
my family, but for a long time I was trying to make it as a working actor.
Even when I was making some money, this was a pretty disheartening
conversation. As soon as the word “actor” leaves your mouth, people form a
mental picture of you waiting tables or living in a cramped apartment with
half a dozen other wannabes.

Interesting–people know that actors have the ability to make money, but
they always assume that you are not. If you ask around, people will be able
to quote how much money Julia Roberts or Brad Pitt made in their last
films, but they seem to have no concept of actors working but making less
than that.

We’ll I’ll tell you a secret that you’re not going to like–we are part of
the problem. Yes, us. The actors.

*Read the rest of this article at Gorilla Film School
<http://gorillafilmschool.com/acting-not-business-tall-tales/>*