[NEohioPAL] Lights Go Out at Actors’ Summit After 17 Seasons

MaryJo Alexander via NEohioPAL neohiopal at lists.neohiopal.org
Tue Jun 28 12:52:39 PDT 2016

For additional information
Contact  MaryJo Alexander at
mjalexthac at gmail.com

*Lights Go Out at Actors’ Summit After 17 Seasons*

Actors’ Summit Theater is turning out the lights after 17 seasons of
professional theater.  The Board of Trustees decided to close the theater
after regretfully accepting the retirement of its Artistic Director, MaryJo
Alexander.

"The theater has been a remarkable asset to Akron," said board president
Sarah Beth Emberger, "but the board felt that without the artistic and
managerial leadership of MaryJo, the theater couldn’t continue."

Incorporated in 1998; Actors’ Summit opened its first production, "The
Price" in April of 1999 with Actors’ Summit founder, Neil Thackaberry
directing.  MaryJo and Neil managed every aspect of the theater - from play
selection, through casting, directing, marketing, design, grant writing, to
creating the sets, props and costumes for every show presented at the
theater.  Actors’ Summit produced over 141 shows; plus cabarets and
children’s shows; hired over 741 artists (actors, directors, and musicians)
and moved the theater 11 times during its 17 seasons.  Neil Thackaberry,
Founder and Artistic Director Emeritus retired last year.

In August of 2016, Actors’ Summit will permanently close its doors.  "It’s
been a wonderful opportunity" MaryJo remarked at the Monday Board meeting.
"We’ve had the good fortune of working with some of Northeast Ohio’s most
talented actors’ and artists, made wonderful friends, and been part of an
amazing community.  I am extremely proud of the work we have done and the
arts jobs we have created."

Emberger remarked: "It has been an honor to facilitate and support the work
of two dedicated and exceptional artists.  We are deeply saddened to lose
Actors’ Summit.  Neil and MaryJo are Actors’ Summit."

MaryJo and Neil, who recently celebrated their 45th wedding anniversary,
had the good fortune to work with their extended family at the theater.
Their elder daughter Constance Thackaberry directed, stage managed and
acted with the company in addition to her role as Senior Artistic
Associate.  Sasha Thackaberry, their younger daughter, served as stage
manager, choreographer, director and performer.  The daughter's spouses,
Keith Stevens and Peter Voinovich were active as Equity performers, and
worked as volunteers assisting with set construction, handling sound
design, as well as guest directing.

"The stock phrase when someone retires is: ‘spend more time with my
family.’  I have had the honor to work every day for the past 17 years with
my partner, and not everyone is that lucky," said MaryJo.

The theater will be closing on a high note.  After 141 productions it will
turn out the lights with no debt.

"We’re proud that, as in any good business, we have paid our bills and have
kept faith with our customers, our vendors, and the foundations that have
so generously supported us over the years," said Thackaberry.

"We are deeply grateful to Mayor Dan Horrigan’s office, and Greg Mervis of
the Akron Convention and Visitors Bureau for their generous ongoing
support.

“Akron’s support of the arts has been fantastic. We opened our first
production inside Greystone Hall in 1999 while it was still the Masonic
Temple," remarked MaryJo, "and we are honored to have called it our
theatrical home for so long."   "We have also been fortunate to have had so
many dedicated theater devotees and career professionals assist us as
members of our board of trustees.  Neil and I are deeply gratefully to the
men and women who have given of their time and talents to assist us with
all of our business endeavors, fundraising, and marketing efforts. "

"We want to thank not only all the individual contributors who have helped
the theater, but the foundations who have supported us and allowed us to
grow" said Alexander.  Foundations who have provided major support over the
last few years include:  The Ohio Arts Council, GAR Foundation, John S. &
James L. Knight Foundation, Akron Community Foundation and the Margaret
Clark Morgan Foundation. Thank you to our many dedicated volunteers as
well. And a special thanks to Dave Lieberth, who facilitated Actors’
Summit’s return to Akron.

Actors’ Summit has produced a number of regional premieres including
"Copenhagen"; "My Mothers’ Lesbian Jewish Wiccan Wedding" (including a
revival for the Gay Games in 2014); "John Brown and the Fight Against
Slavery"; "Nat King Cole and Friends"; "Tremont"; "A Girl’s Guide to
Coffee" ; "Freud’s Last Session"; the National New Play Network premiere of
"Manning Up"; "A Murder Mystery and a Marriage"; "Motherhood Out Loud";
"Main Travelled Roads"; and "Bully"  among many others.

MaryJo and Neil look forward to the opportunity to spend even more time
with their grandchildren.  They plan to do more cooking and gardening as
well.  Both Neil and MaryJo look forward to continue collaboration with
many of the other local theater companies as designers, directors and
actors.

--
*MaryJo Alexander*
*Artistic Director*