[NEohioPAL] Final Weekend for KING RICHARD II, plus OPEN MIC SHAKESPEARE - Cymbeline!

Cleveland Shakespeare Festival via NEohioPAL neohiopal at lists.neohiopal.org
Thu Jun 30 16:43:57 PDT 2016

Final weekend for
KING RICHARD II
The first leg of our summer tour reaches its end this weekend with these
stops:

   - Friday:  Notre Dame College in South Euclid
   - Saturday: James A. Garfield National Historic Site in Mentor
   - Sunday: Lincoln Park in Tremont

All performances begin at 7pm and are presented FREE OF CHARGE
Bring a blanket or low-slung chair

Believing himself anointed by God and infallible, the narcissistic King
Richard over-taxes the populace and issues decrees by caprice.  Richard
exiles Henry Bolingbroke to settle a dispute, then seizes his father’s
estate to fund a foreign war. While Richard’s army fights in Ireland,
Bolingbroke mounts a populist rebellion at home to regain what’s rightfully
his, planting the seeds for the War of the Roses that would erupt decades
later.

Classified as a history, but with the soaring poetry and humanizing fall
associated with tragedy, King Richard II is an under-appreciated gem in the
Bard’s canon.  Perfect for this election season, it examines the nature of
leadership, power and identity.  Who is Richard when he is no longer King?

*THE TEMPEST runs July 22 - Aug 7*
See the full tour schedule on our website: www.cleveshakes.org

*VOLUNTEERS NEEDED!*
Help us out by distributing programs pre-show, working our merchandise
table!
Sign up here: https://www.volunteerspot.com/login/entry/104709603409

*OPEN MIC SHAKESPEARE*
*CYMBELINE*
*Saturday, July 2*
*Saturday, July 30*
*2-4:30pm*
*Cleveland Hts Main Librar*y

Last month, we followed the Bard to a mysterious island in the
Mediterranean! This month, we land in the United Kingdom---BEFORE it was
united. In "Cymbeline", Shakespeare weaves a tale of two lands, Rome and
Britain, who's respective people are questioning the relative meaning of
"love and honor".

Due to the play's length, we'll be reading the first half of it this month
and the second half of it next month.

Open Mic Shakespeare is our monthly play-reading series. One day each
month, we invite anyone and everyone to stop in and read a Shakespeare play
with us, at a cool spot in the Greater Cleveland area.

This month, we'll be meeting twice, Saturday July 2nd and Saturday July
30th, 2-4:30pm, at the Cleveland Heights-University Heights Lee Rd. Public
Library, Meeting Room B. Like our classic summer performance season, entry
to Open Mic Shakespeare is absolutely free, now and forever.