[NEohioPAL] Requesting actors/ impersonators for street Theater at RNC (permitted)

Don Bryant via NEohioPAL neohiopal at lists.neohiopal.org
Sun Jul 10 09:55:53 PDT 2016

Cleveland Peace Action is planning a permitted presentation, "Peace in the
Park" on Cleveland Public Square on July 20 afternoon.
We will sing some anti-militaristic songs and do a few parodies with past
presidents and civil rights leaders and artists.

I wish to find actors for playing parts as past presidents: Eisenhower,
JFK, Reagan , Bush, Obama, and civil rights leaders and artists: Martin
Luther King and Maya Angelou. These all would be short parts - reciting
quotes and answering questions from "Maya Angelou" or (maybe even "Megan
Kelly" (FOX news).

If you are interested in acting/ reciting, helping with tryouts and
rehearsal, or contacting aspiring actors - please let me know.
email.donbryant at gmail.com

Please see SAMPLE SCRIPT (below)

Thank you,

Don Bryant 216.337.6760

SAMPLE SCRIPT:

M.C.: Welcome to Peace in the Park sponsored by Cleveland Peace Action.
Today we have invited a number of notable voices to address issues of
poverty, war, and peace. First, I ask President Dwight D. Eisenhower to
open the discussion.

President Eisenhower: "Every gun that is made, every warship launched,
every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who
hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed. This world in
arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of of its
laborers, the genius of its scientists, and the hopes of its children. This
is not a way of life at all in any true sense. Under the cloud of
threatening war, it is humanity hanging from a cross of iron."

M.C.: President Kennedy had a few things to say about war and its
casualties on all sides, but especially to the most vulnerable:

Pres. Kennedy: "A war today or tomorrow, if it led to nuclear war, would
not be like any war in history. A full-scale nuclear exchange, lasting less
than 60 minutes, with the weapons now in existence, could wipe out more
than 300 million Americans, Europeans, and Russians, as well as untold
numbers elsewhere. And the survivors, as Chairman Khrushchev warned the
Communist Chinese, "the survivors would envy the dead." For they would
inherit a world so devastated by explosions and poison and fire that today
we cannot even conceive of its horrors. So let us try to turn the world
away from war. Let us make the most of this opportunity, and every
opportunity, to reduce tension, to slow down the perilous nuclear arms
race, and to check the world's slide toward final annihilation. Continued
unrestricted testing by the nuclear powers, joined in time by other nations
which may be less adept in limiting pollution, will increasingly
contaminate the air that all of us must breathe. ... The loss of even one
human life, or the malformation of even one baby -- who may be born long
after we are gone -- should be of concern to us all. Our children and
grandchildren are not merely statistics toward which we can be
indifferent."

M.C.: Let’s not let these words be spoken in vain. Maybe presidents can be
seen as disingenuous as they also wage the very wars that they denounce –
but civil rights leader and anti-war activist Martin Luther King’s message
inspires us to commit to peace with justice.

 Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King: “Violence is impractical because it is a
descending spiral ending in destruction for all. It is immoral because it
seeks to humiliate the opponent rather than win his understanding: it seeks
to annihilate rather than convert. Violence is immoral because it thrives
on hatred rather than love. It destroys community and makes brotherhood
impossible. It leaves society in monologue rather than dialogue. Violence
ends up defeating itself. It creates bitterness in the survivors and
brutality in the destroyers.”

M.C.: As you can see, the warnings of the Republican president, a
Democratic president and a civil rights leader were not heeded. There are
always excuses to go to war- from Vietnam to Afghanistan -  when the "great
communicator" - President Ronald Wilson Reagan explained his way into
arming and training the Afghan Mujaheddin that later became the Taliban.

Pres. Reagan: "Every country and every people has a stake in the Afghan
resistance, for the freedom fighters of Afghanistan are defending
principles of independence and freedom that form the basis of global
security and stability. "These gentlemen are the moral equivalent of the
founding fathers."
M.C.: To defeat the Soviet Union, U.S. President Reagan was willing to give
advanced military equipment to an extremist group in a foreign land; I
guess you could call him the "Father of Modern Day Terrorism."

M.C.: "After the attacks on September 11, 2001, U.S. troops were deployed
across the Middle East and Southwest Asia for reasons that were as confused
then as they remain dubious today, but on some unconscious level the myth
of violence was at work, promising that waging war abroad would heal the
wounds suffered that  day. As George W. Bush said when the US invaded Iraq:

President G. W. Bush: “We will pass through this time of peril and carry on
the work of peace. We will defend our freedom. We will bring freedom to
others. And we will prevail.”

(fade into)

Maya Angelou from "Amazing Peace.."

M.C: We are honored by the presence of the many dignitaries of the civil
rights movement - and Cesar Chavez said it right.
Cesar Chavez: “It’s amazing how people can get so excited about a rocket to
the moon and not give a damn about smog, oil leaks, the devastation of the
environment with pesticides, hunger, disease. When the poor share some of
the power that the affluent now monopolize, we will give a damn.”