[NEohioPAL] Casting Three Roles for Short Film

Andrew Rudd via NEohioPAL neohiopal at lists.neohiopal.org
Tue Jul 12 05:07:54 PDT 2016

CASTING - Safety Net - 12 minute short film

This short film is scheduled to be shot during Labor Day weekend in Canton,
Ohio.  We anticipate a festival release in January, 2017.  This project was
one of the finalists in the Cleveland Indie Film Incubator and is partially
supported by the generosity of Cleveland Camera Rental and the other
sponsoring partners.  Contingent upon funding we hope to pay at SAG
ultra-low indie rates, however we are open to casting SAG or non-SAG based
on the three leads that we select. Other non-speaking roles will be cast
later this month.

Electronic Submissions Only: Please inquire by email --
safetynetfilm at gmail.com or andrewerudd at 107aday.com -- for script sides that
may be used in video audition.  While video auditions are encouraged, we
also accept: headshot, resume and acting reel for consideration.  Video
auditions should be uploaded to youtube or vimeo (password protected and/or
unlisted) and links should be sent along with other materials to
safetynetfilms at gmail.com

Submissions Due By: We are eager to cast these roles, so we will start
considering submissions on Thursday, July 14, 2016 and we will plan on live
auditions for finalists during the last week of July.

*ROLES: *

JERRY - Lead / MALE / 28 to 38  Black.  Left his job as a corrections
officer a year ago.  Jerry makes friends easily and makes everyone around
him feel comfortable.  He uses humor to deflect trouble, but is a
hard-working, trustworthy husband to Felicia, his pregnant wife.   In the
film, as he tries to find friends and family that will actually help him,
he also must face questions and doubts about his own hopes, dreams, and
sense of himself.  NOTE:  Not looking for a dashing classic leading man.
Jerry needs to exude an everyman sensibility.  Perhaps overweight?

FELICIA - Supporting / FEMALE / 28 to 38  Black.  Works in a preschool.
Eight months pregnant. She sure wouldn’t choose now as a time to lose their
house, but she’s also supportive of Jerry and recognizes that he is feeling
more pressure than even she is.  She’s strong enough to keep her private
frustrations from spilling over into him, and smart enough to know what
he’s thinking even when he can’t give voice to it. Felicia is artistic,
confident and strong.  Her style is SINGULAR but PRACTICAL.

BRAD - Supporting / MALE / 28 to 38 (Jerry’s age)  White.  Suit and an open
collared shirt in the day and athletic gear at night. Brad owns a
manufacturing plant downtown, and lives in a posh newly minted mansion in a
gated community far across the city from Jerry and Felicia.  He vibes
athleticism, optimism and good ol’ boy.  He is a well-regarded member of
the stately megachurch near the golf course.  He and Jerry worked at a camp
together for several summers when they were teenagers.

PLOT OVERVIEW: Jerry left his job a year ago, and while he’s tried he
hasn’t found anything since.  He’s been given a week to make an emergency
payment or his house will go into foreclosure.  His wife is very pregnant
and Safety Net opens as Jerry finds out that yet another option won’t pan
out.  The film follows him as he takes desperate measures to find
something….ANYTHING...to salvage his little piece of the American Dream.

Remember in It’s A Wonderful Life when George Bailey thought that the
Savings and Loan was going belly-up and he would lose everything he had
invested in the crummy old house where his wife and kids had pieced
together a happy life?  It’s that moment for Jerry Harris, but issues of
race and class make everything much more complicated in this short
film.  Safety
Net is connected to a feature length project that focuses on Jerry’s quest:
 $107 A Day

For more information email: andrew at 107aday.com or follow us on twitter
<https://twitter.com/107ADayFilm>, instagram
<https://www.instagram.com/safetynetfilm/> or facebook