[NEohioPAL] "Dancing Wheels' Premiere of 'Labyrinth: A Tribute' at Cain Park on August 12th"

kelly clymer via NEohioPAL neohiopal at lists.neohiopal.org
Thu Jul 21 10:03:05 PDT 2016

The Dancing Wheels Company Reimagines “Labyrinth” for Cleveland Audiences at Cain Park! About the Performance June 30, 2016:  In 2010, then Company member, Dezare’ Foster first proposed her vision to create a story ballet based on the mysterious world of the “Labyrinth”. She said “My inspiration comes directly from the 80s film with Jim Henson’s puppetry, featuring music by David Bowie.  I watched this movie as a young child and as I grew up, David Bowie’s music has stayed close to my heart.”  When she introduced the idea to Founding Artistic Director, Mary Verdi-Fletcher, she commented “the idea sounded fascinating, but the timing in which the Company could produce such a venture was just not right.”  Verdi-Fletcher did however make a promise to someday bring the production to the stage.  That promise along with Dezare’s vision will finally come to fruition on August 12th when the Dancing Wheels Company takes to the Cain Park stage for the world premiere performance of Labyrinth: A Tribute.The fabled story first conceived by Jim Henson and Dennis Lee was made into a feature film that showcased Bowie’s talents as an actor, musician and vocalist.  Now for the first time, this story will be reinvented for a live on stage production featuring lead characters, Sarah and the Goblin King, portrayed by Dancing Wheels Company members, Sara Lawrence-Sucato and Demarco Sleeper.  As a strong wheelist, Sleeper, along with Lawrence-Sucato demonstrate athleticism and power in their many encounters and adventures.  Foster said her desire to create this new work with the Dancing Wheels Company was because “it was not only an integrated Company but also a strong, raw, eccentric and diverse group of dancers.”  She went on to say “With these characteristics and the charisma that each dancer possesses, I believe they can truly relay the overall message of this particular story.”  Other endearing characters are Toby, Sarah’s sister portrayed by Emily Schwarting and Gigi, Sarah’s guiding light portrayed by Mary Verdi-Fletcher.  The production brings to life a whole host of scenes that include the 12 member cast, ranging from the dark depths of the Labyrinth to the spirited and fun loving land where the “magic dance” takes place.   At the conclusion of the production the audience will be left with the intended moral of the story…. Much like Sarah, we must take responsibility for our choices and with perseverance, friendship and love, we can overcome anything.  In addition to the premiere of Labyrinth: A Tribute, two additional pieces from the Dancing Wheels repertory will be performed; Wall of Glasschoreographed by Lisa K. Lock and an excerpt of Anomalies choreographed by Mark Tomasic.  The collective works on this program showcases the versatility and strength of this unique Company.About the CompanyUnder the artistic direction of Founder, Mary Verdi-Fletcher, The Dancing Wheels Company, newly branded as the World Center for Integrated Dance & Art Access is recognized as the first and foremost professional Physically Integrated Dance Company in America uniting the talents of dancers with and without disabilities.  Now in its 36th season, Company members include:  McKenzie Beaverson, Mathew Bowman, Kelly Clymer, Tanya Ewell, Mary Verdi-Fletcher, Kristen Knabel, Kevin Marr, Willian MacNeil, Demarco Sleeper, Sara Lawrence-Sucato, Emily Schwarting, Ja’Vaughn White and Lianne Zydowicz.  The Company is rehearsed by Catherine Meredith. Since its inception in 1980, the highly skilled ensemble of stand-up and sit-down (wheelchair) dancers has reached over five million people world-wide with innovative mainstage performances, school assembly programs, guest appearances and numerous outreach activities.  Furthering the mission of inclusive arts programming for all, The School of Dancing Wheels opened its doors in 1990.  Today, The School provides community programming and student performances reaching over 6,500 children and adults with and without disabilities annuall­y right here in Cleveland!Advance tickets are $25 and $30 day of show.  Tickets for the 8:00 p.m. show can be purchased through the Cain Park box office at 14591 Superior Rd., Cleveland Hts. by calling the box office at 216-371-3000 or Ticket Master at 800-745-3000.The Dancing Wheels Company & School is sponsored through the generous support of the Cleveland Foundation, Cuyahoga Arts & Culture, National Endowment for the Arts, Ohio Arts Council, Target, The Emerson Foundation, The George Gund Foundation, The Kuhn Family Foundation, The Kulas Foundation, Metro Toyota and Toyota National, The Nord Family Foundation, Nordson Corporation and the Sherwin-Williams Foundation.