[NEohioPAL] "Play it forward": Looking for instrument donations for school kids.

Paula Kampf via NEohioPAL neohiopal at lists.neohiopal.org
Wed Sep 7 08:49:52 PDT 2016

My friend and collaborator Victoria McBride and I are collecting gently
used instruments for the students of St Martin de Porres High School. St
Martin’s is a pretty darned special school. It’s part of the Christo Rey
network--schools that serve a very specific demographic in ways that
seriously change lives. As Victoria <https://www.facebook.com/vsanyu>
writes, “Saint Martin is a school that provides students of modest economic
means with a college preparatory education aimed at helping young men and
women develop the habits of mind and spirit that will enable them to be
successful in college, in their careers, and in life. This year we are
trying to breathe new life into our arts curriculum by adding an choir
class! We have never had a school band but many students are interested in
learning to play instruments so if we are able, we'd love to have our choir
include a praise band.” SO: We are looking for instruments. What kinds of
instruments would be GREAT? Conga drums, drum-circle style drums, hand
drums, box drums, guitars (acoustic or with plug-in capabilities), flutes
and other wind instruments, brass instruments like trumpets. What kind of
instruments would NOT help? Ones that are broken/missing essential parts or
instruments that are large and cumbersome (pianos, drum sets, cellos, etc.)
********How do I donate an instrument? Email Victoria McBride
<https://www.facebook.com/vsanyu> vmcbride at stmdphs.org --she can make
arrangements with you to get the instruments. ******** Can I just donate
money instead? Sorry, no. We’re just collecting good, usable instruments. Is
my donation tax deductible? Yes.
Is this a formal outreach from the school, or just another one of those
community-projects we put together because so many cool people are out
there wanting to do something awesome? Oh, it’s one of those
community-projects we put together because you’re all awesome and make
things happen. Y’all rock. So spread the word. Find those old instruments
that you’re not using. What's in the attic? Stashed backstage somewhere? In
the storage space of your place of worship or the corner of a classroom? Reach
out to Vicky and let’s get these awesome kids who cannot otherwise afford
instruments the opportunity to make the halls come alive with the sound of
music. (You knew I couldn’t finish this without *some* VonTrapp reference,
right?) With sincerest gratitude, Paula Kampf