[NEohioPAL] Review of "My Fair Lady" at Great Lakes Theater

Bob Abelman via NEohioPAL neohiopal at lists.neohiopal.org
Mon Sep 26 06:12:13 PDT 2016

Lightning strikes thrice with Great Lakes’ ‘My Fair Lady’

Bob Abelman

Cleveland Jewish News, The News Herald, The Morning Journal

Member, International Association of Theatre Critics

Shortly after the record-breaking, award-winning production of “My Fair Lady” opened on Broadway in 1956, the show’s playwright and lyricist Alan Jay Lerner remarked that “the right people at the right moment in their lives embarked on the right venture.”

The same can be said for Great Lakes Theater’s most remarkable rendition of “My Fair Lady.”

Artistic Director Charlie Fee hired just the right director who brought in just the right designers and performers to take all that is charming about this musical and make it captivating.  And while all the show’s special moments have been mined over six decades of reproductions and four Broadway revivals, the Great Lakes Theater company has managed to find more.

And they have done so by stripping the show’s production values down to the essentials while adding rich dimension to each and every character.

For more of this review, go to www.clevelandjewishnews.com/columnists/.